Sports Wrap-Up: September 20, 2019

Reggie Spears

Boys varsity soccer is undefeated so far this season after last night’s game. The team plays again tonight at home.

Field Hockey

The varsity and JV field hockey teams dealt with back to back losses with their last two games. On September 16 field hockey team went up against Springbrook, JV lost 2-0 while Varsity lost 1-0.

Varsity gave it all they could but fell after a hard fight. After a successful win in their previous game, they just didn’t seem to be in the groove of things.

“We were giving nine out of ten but we were supposed to give ten out of ten,” senior Adilia Sequeira said. Despite their loss, the girls were still excited to get on the field to play the Rockville Rams.

JV also lost against Springbrook with a final score of 2-0. As always the JV team gave it their all but still believes that with better communication, and making passes to people open they could carry out their win before the season ends.

On September 18, the girls suffered another loss against the Rams. It was a disappointing loss for both teams, but also a learning experience for the next game.  Varsity lost with the score being 5-1.

“We could’ve had gotten better [with] stick skills,” said senior Britney Isaacoff. Even with the tough loss, the highlight of their game was the goal made by senior Clarisse Gonzales.

JV loss the Rockville game with a score of 2-0. The team believes that with the better technique they could’ve taken home the win.

Girls Volleyball

On September 19, both varsity and JV girls volleyball teams faced off against Seneca Valley High School’s Screamin’ Eagles on their home court.

JV beat Seneca Valley 2-0 in a well fought game. Varsity followed their lead and beat the Screamin’ Eagles 3-1.

Freshman Juliana Sandoval said, “In volleyball, the loudest court will always win and this game we were louder.”

Seneca Valley’s varsity volleyball team was undefeated before their wings were clipped by the Watkins Mill Wolverines.

Boys Soccer

Watkins Mill High School Wolverines varsity soccer came back to win against Colonel Zadok Magruder High School’s Colonels 2-1 at Magruder on Thursday, September 19.

“The team is like a brotherhood,” senior Brian Reyes said. “And I’m proud to know I wear the same jersey as them.”

Junior Katim Njie scored a goal from a penalty shot.

“Knowing that Watkins Mill hasn’t been known as a great soccer team for a couple years now, it feels wonderful to be 4-0. It gives us the confidence to keep pushing forward and doing our best,” senior Kebba Sanyang added.

The ‘Rines play Seneca Valley High School’s Screamin’ Eagles at Watkins Mill High School today, Friday, September 20 at 7:15 pm.

Girls Soccer

On September 19, Watkins Mill High School’s Varsity Girls Soccer team faced off against Magruder High School’s Colonels. The girls lost 7-0 to Magruder but put up a good fight. Junior Diana Yanes said, “We did fight really hard and the ball was actually on the other side of the field a majority of the time which is good.”

Even though they suffered a tough loss, the girls hope to win a game soon. They believe they can succeed because there’s no drama and the team works well together. The girls face off against Seneca Valley’s Screamin’ Eagles on Tuesday, September 24.

Cross Country

The Watkins Mill cross country team beat Seneca Valley High School. Juniors Naveen Smith, Jonas Clark, Ifedapo Abiola, Chris Crews, and Phillip Hartwell all placed in the top ten; meaning five of the top ten runners from that meet are Wolverines.

Smith ran a time of 17 minutes and 46 seconds. “It feels great and I know what my limit is now,” Smith said after winning first place. The next meet is on Tuesday, September 24 at Watkins Mill High School where our very own Wolverines will face Kennedy High School.