Joseph Alminagor crowned as 2019 Mr. Watkins Mill

Back to Article
Back to Article

Seniors Joseph Alminagor and Sandra Ogbuokiri dance during the opening scene of the Mr. Watkins Mill contest.

Jade Pinkowitz

Jade Pinkowitz

Jade Pinkowitz

Bianca Johnson, Associate Editor

Hear ye, hear ye, make way for the newly-appointed Mr. Watkins Mill, Joseph Alminagor. Give him a crown, a lei and of course, the most prized honor, the Golden Wolverine. Last night was a night to remember as ten senior boys fought for the title of Mr. Watkins Mill, yet one truly wowed the crowd.

“I’ve always wanted to do Mr. Watkins Mill since I was a freshman,” Alminagor said. The night started with introductions where the audience got to know each contender. Most had what extracurricular activities they were involved in and what school they were going to attend in the fall.

Also mentioned in the introduction was what charity each contender would donate the proceeds to if they won. Alminagor’s charity was Inspira, a nonprofit organization that helps families’ medical needs in Peru. Alminagor’s parents are from Peru and he also lived in Lima for a year. “It’s always good to give back to your country,” Alminagor said. Alminagor does not yet know how much money was collected, but intends to help with the donation process.

For the bathing suit portion of the show, Alminagor wore a donut inflatable and two arm floaties to stand out from the crowd. But his most impressive moment was when he performed alongside with the ASA and OLAS dance teams for his talent. “I was inspired by the Quince Orchard MSP retreat to combine Latin dance and African dance together,” Alminagor added.

In the final moments of the show, Alminagor was given the question, “What is something that impacts society today?” Though he admits to being nervous during the question round, he gave a very passionate answer. Alminagor wants to leave the message to all Wolverines to “not be scared of who [they] are,” and thanked everyone. “I had an unforgettable experience… it was a pleasure going on stage with every single one of them,” Alminagor added.

Alminagor gave a very special thanks to his partner Sandra Ogbuokiri. “Thank you for being an amazing partner. You really pushed me and motivated me to be my best on stage and I couldn’t have done this without you,” Alminagor said.

Congratulations to all ten contestants of Mr. Watkins Mill!

• Senior Hosts Ana Rodriguez and Alexandra Aucoin introduce the 36th annual Mr. Watkins Mill event.

• Seniors Brice Eka and his escort Emily Reid dance during the opening performance during Mr. Watkins Mill.

• Seniors Phillip Kostin and his escort A'Shanti Roger dance during the opening performance during the Mr. Watkins Mill Contest.

• Seniors Joseph Diaz and his escort Sandra Ogbuokiri dance during the opening performance during Mr. Watkins Mill.

• Seniors A'Shanti Roger and Phillip Kostin show off a high kick during Mr. Watkins Mill.

• Seniors Brennan Guilds and escort Katherine Amaya make their way down the stage during Mr. Watkins Mill.

• Seniors Isai Flores and Annie Riley hit "The Floss" during the opening performance during Mr. Watkins Mill.

• Seniors Geo Canizalez and Nana Tutu dancing their way down the stage during Mr. Watkins Mill.

• Seniors Geo Canizalez and Nana Tutu striking a pose in the middle of the stage during the Mr. Watkins Mill contest.

• Seniors Chioma Nwoye and Brady Allen get ready to show off their moves during the Mr. Watkins Mill contest.

• Seniors Taylor Dawson and Devion Bridges work their way down the stage during the Mr. Watkins Mill contest.

• Seniors Taylor Dawson and Devion Bridges hit "The Woah" during the opening performance of Mr. Watkins Mill.

• Seniors Jamie Carmichael and Joseph Kamara dance during the opening scene of the Mr. Watkins Mill contest.

• Seniors Joseph Alminagor and Sandra Ogbuokiri dance during the opening scene of the Mr. Watkins Mill contest.

• Seniors Brice Eka and Emily Reid dance during the opening scene of the Mr. Watkins Mill contest.

• Senior Phillip Kostin shows off his "vegan fueled" muscles during the swimsuit portion of the Mr. Watkins Mill Contest.

• Senior Brennan Guilds showing off his swimmer-bod during the swimsuit portion of the Mr. Watkins Mill contest.

• Senior Brennan Guilds showing off his luscious locks and swimmer-bod during the swimsuit portion of the Mr. Watkins Mill contest.

• Senior Joseph Kamara looks cool and confident during the swimsuit portion of the Mr. Watkins Mill contest.

• Senior Dejion Martin showing off his athletic body during the swimsuit portion of the Mr. Watkins Mill contest.

• Senior Lauren Flandrau and Dejion Martin dancing their way down the stage during the introduction group dace of Mr. Watkins Mill.

• Brady Allen showing off during the swimsuit portion of the Mr. Watkins Mill contest.

• Senior and Contestant Brady Allen confidently struts his -almost-designer swimsuit during the swimsuit portion of the Mr. Watkins Mill contest.

• Senior and contestant Isai Flores is beach-ready during the swimsuit portion of the Mr. Watkins Mill contest.

• Senior Devion Bridges hitting the hula dance wearing his tropical themed swimwear during the swimwear section of Mr. Watkins Mill.

• Senior and Contestant Geo Canizales is comfortably confident and cool during the swimsuit portion of the Mr. Watkins Mill Contest.

• Senior and contestant Joey Alminagor shows off his fun and safe swimsuit attire during the swimsuit portion of the Mr. Watkins Mill contest.

• Senior Brice Eka is flexing his muscles during the swimsuit portion of Mr.Watkins Mill.

• Seniors Joseph Kamara, Geo Canizales, and Joey Alminagor during the swimsuit portion of the Mr. Watkins Mill contest.

• Senior and contestant Phillip Kostin performs a motivational speech-turned rap during the talent portion of the Mr. Watkins Mill contest.

• Senior and contestant Phillip Kostin does the splits after his motivational speech-turned rap during the talent portion of the Mr. Watkins Mill contest.

• Senior and contestant Phillip Kostin does a cartwheel after his motivational speech-turned rap during the talent portion of the Mr. Watkins Mill contest.

• Senior Joseph Kamara rocking his dance during the talent section of Mr. Watkins Mill.

• Senior and contestant Isai Flores performs soccer tricks during the talent portion of the Mr. Watkins Mill contest.

• Seniors Joey Alminagor and Karen Perez have a great time dancing during the talent portion of the Mr. Watkins Mill contest.

• Senior and contestant Geo Canizalez performs card magic as a part of the talent portion of Mr. Watkins Mill.

• Senior and Mr. Watkins Mill contestant Brice Eka participating in the talent portion of Mr. Watkins Mill

• Senior and Mr. Watkins Mill contestant Brice Eka dancing during the talent portion.

• Senior Participants of the Mr. Watkins Mill contest are showing the dangers of smoking and doing drugs.

• Senior Participants of the Mr. Watkins Mill contest are advocating the message of not using drugs.

• Senior Participants of the Mr. Watkins Mill contest acting a scene showing the danger of drugs.

• Senior Contestant Dejion Martin during the S.A.D.D scene of the Mr. Watkins Mill Contest.