Joseph Alminagor crowned as 2019 Mr. Watkins Mill

Jade Pinkowitz

Seniors Joseph Alminagor and Sandra Ogbuokiri dance during the opening scene of the Mr. Watkins Mill contest.

Bianca Johnson, Associate Editor

Hear ye, hear ye, make way for the newly-appointed Mr. Watkins Mill, Joseph Alminagor. Give him a crown, a lei and of course, the most prized honor, the Golden Wolverine. Last night was a night to remember as ten senior boys fought for the title of Mr. Watkins Mill, yet one truly wowed the crowd.

“I’ve always wanted to do Mr. Watkins Mill since I was a freshman,” Alminagor said. The night started with introductions where the audience got to know each contender. Most had what extracurricular activities they were involved in and what school they were going to attend in the fall.

Also mentioned in the introduction was what charity each contender would donate the proceeds to if they won. Alminagor’s charity was Inspira, a nonprofit organization that helps families’ medical needs in Peru. Alminagor’s parents are from Peru and he also lived in Lima for a year. “It’s always good to give back to your country,” Alminagor said. Alminagor does not yet know how much money was collected, but intends to help with the donation process.

For the bathing suit portion of the show, Alminagor wore a donut inflatable and two arm floaties to stand out from the crowd. But his most impressive moment was when he performed alongside with the ASA and OLAS dance teams for his talent. “I was inspired by the Quince Orchard MSP retreat to combine Latin dance and African dance together,” Alminagor added.

In the final moments of the show, Alminagor was given the question, “What is something that impacts society today?” Though he admits to being nervous during the question round, he gave a very passionate answer. Alminagor wants to leave the message to all Wolverines to “not be scared of who [they] are,” and thanked everyone. “I had an unforgettable experience… it was a pleasure going on stage with every single one of them,” Alminagor added.

Alminagor gave a very special thanks to his partner Sandra Ogbuokiri. “Thank you for being an amazing partner. You really pushed me and motivated me to be my best on stage and I couldn’t have done this without you,” Alminagor said.

Congratulations to all ten contestants of Mr. Watkins Mill!