Sports Wrap-Up: April 25, 2019

Softball

In the first game back after spring break, girls varsity softball faced off against Richard Montgomery High School’s girls and ended with a defeat, 25-5. Their next game is at Blake High School at 3:45pm today.

“Our communication was the thing that stood out the most which helped us,” sophomore Allison Rodriguez said. “But our problem is we need to stop giving up because we give more energy at the beginning of the game and then we end up giving up towards the end of the game. Once we secure that, we’ll start winning more games.”

Boys Volleyball

The Watkins Mill boys volleyball team took a loss versus the undefeated number two seed, the Northwest Jaguars. The boys lost to the Jags’ 3-0 in three very hard fought sets; at Northwest on Wednesday, April 24.

“I couldn’t really focus that game,” junior Sanam Mittal said. “I was dropping really easy passes that I normally don’t drop such easy balls.”

The boys will have their senior night and last home game versus the Blake Devils on Friday, April 26 at 3:15pm.

Girls Lacrosse

Watkins Mill High School’s girls lacrosse faced off against Seneca Valley High School on Wednesday.

Junior Nadia MakMak said, “We have a lot of work to do as a team when it comes to communication and trust. We have to keep working to be better.” After a hard fought game, the Wolverines lost.

Baseball

On April 24, 2019, the Boys Varsity Baseball ‘Rines took on the Damascus Hornets. They competed a good game but loss of a score of 15-5.

“We need to play for each other more than we have been,” senior Zachary Pepperl said. “We will prevail if we get that done.” 

The Varsity Baseball ‘Rines now have a record of 0-10 for the season as they look to win in their next game against the Walter Johnson Wildcats. That game will be a home game for the ‘Rines at 3:45 today at Walter Johnson due to a downed tree on the WMHS home field. 

About the Writers
Joshua Ali, Sports Editor

Joshua Ali is a senior at Watkins Mill High School and a Sports Editor for The Current. He plans to go to college somewhere with a hot climate like Arizona,...

Arthur Siqueira, Graphics Designer

Arthur Siqueira is a junior at Watkins Mill and is a Graphics Designer and Sports Editor for The Current. He enjoys vigorously staring at his extensive...

Jade Pinkowitz, Photography Director

Jade Pinkowitz is a Junior this year at Watkins Mill and is the Photography Director as well as an Opinion Editor for The Current. Jade has played volleyball...

Brandon Smith, Sports Editor

Brandon is a senior at Watkins Mill High School and a Sports Editor for The Current. He loves basketball and enjoys writing on the side. Brandon plans...