Art show celebrates student work in media center tonight

Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo by Freshman Marvin Hernandez of a dog in the Watkins Mill High School Art Show 2019

Jade Pinkowitz

Jade Pinkowitz

Jade Pinkowitz

Watkins Mill’s annual art show is back to showcase and celebrate students’ artwork. The art show is on display today, May 9 from 5:30 to 7:30 pm in the media center.

The art show is a school event in which students’ artwork is chosen by their art teachers based on skill, execution, and meaning. It has a series of works from different art courses ranging from photography to ceramics to studio art. “The art show is all about the work that we’ve done throughout the year and to showcase the work the students did,” art teacher Limor Dekel said.

The event is not only for hard-working students but is open for anyone, like parents, friends, and members of the community to view the unique and creative work the student body has made. “[The art show] is like a celebration for our students… when you are creating something you want to share it with someone else,” Dekel added.

People who come can vote on their favorite pieces of art and there will be some awards given out to a group of students. “We have most popular awards, that means everyone can come in, get a chance to vote for one piece of artwork they want,” Dekel added.

“So hopefully people will bring friends and family and they will vote for them and they will get a gift certificate,” Dekel added.

Students are happy for people to come and appreciate the art they’ve put hard work into all year. “This is the first time my work has ever been displayed at a show. I’ve never been more proud of my craft than I am today,” junior Ligia Delgadillo said.

The art show is not only a chance to look at unique pieces made with different techniques and individual style, but it is also an event that celebrates students for the hard work they put throughout the school year.

• Photo by Freshman Marvin Hernandez of a dog in the Watkins Mill High School Art Show 2019

• Artwork of the alphabet mixed with stone patterns by Junior Gisell Maravi in the Watkins Mill High School Art Show 2019

• Artwork by Junior Gisell Maravi of a quote in the Watkins Mill High School Art Show 2019

• Collages and Quotes by art students in the Watkins Mill High School Art Show 2019

• Self portrait artwork by Junior Natalie Helsel of herself in the Watkins Mill High School Art Show 2019

• Artwork by Sophomore Elora West of a hand and rose in the Watkins Mill High School Art Show 2019

• Painting by Junior Natalie Helsel of an underwater diver (bottom) and Artwork by Sophomore Tanya Yahouedeou of a hole ripped in a canvas to show a colorful painting (top) in the Watkins Mill High School Art Show 2019

• Photos by Watkins Mill Students of pumpkins, a ferris wheel, and trees in the Watkins Mill High School Art Show 2019

• Photoshop Artwork by Sophomore Melvin Quintanilla of himself mixed with a forest in the Watkins Mill High School Art Show 2019

• Photoshop Artwork by Senior Alexander Miller of a fish in a lightbulb in the Watkins Mill High School Art Show 2019

• Photoshop Artwork by Sophomore Comfort Oshagbemi of herself mixed with animal print in the Watkins Mill High School Art Show 2019

• Photo Portraits by various Watkins Mill students of Watkins Mill students in the Watkins Mill High School Art Show 2019

• Photo Portraits by Watkins Mill students of Watkins Mill students in the Watkins Mill High School Art Show 2019

• Photoshop Portrait by Junior Daniel Oliva of Junior Gary Sykes in the Watkins Mill High School Art Show 2019

• Photoshop Portrait by Freshman Jake Posada-Garcia of a Watkins Mill Student in the Watkins Mill High School Art Show 2019

• Photoshop Portrait by Junior Allison Flores of a Watkins Mill student with a photoshop grain effect in the Watkins Mill High School Art Show 2019

• Flower Sculpture in the Watkins Mill High School Art Show 2019

• Ceramic bust in the Watkins Mill High School Art Show 2019