Sports Wrap-Up: March 27, 2019

Israel Safo and Arthur Siqueira

Boys Volleyball

Boys volleyball smashed the Bethesda-Chevy Chase Barons 3-1 in the season opener. The boys won on Thursday, March 21 after a very hard-fought game. Rafael Fernandez DeLeon, coming in off an injury, had a great game.

“We had a great game, but it was our first game of the season so I do think we can get a lot better,” junior Sanam Mittal said.

Boys Lacrosse

The varsity lacrosse team lost to the Clarksburg High School Coyotes 22-2 on Monday, March 25 at Watkins Mill High School.

“What I noticed is that we play so good at practice, but on the field we freezed and I want to turn that bad habit around and bounce back with a win,” junior Justin Benitez said.

Sophomore Bonsu Tutu scored both goals.

“We are really starting to get better as a team,” junior Javier Sarmiento said.

Come see the ‘Rines lacrosse team play against the Laurel High School Spartans on Thursday, March 28 at Watkins Mill High School.

Track

The Wolverines track team won first place at the Seneca Valley Invitational on Saturday, March 23 at Watkins Mill High School against 28 other schools across the state.

Junior David Okoli placed first in the 100 meter with a time of 10.9 seconds.

“I feel like everyone had done a fantastic job and everyone gave it their best effort. Even though we had fallen, we got right back up to finish because we gave it our all,” junior Khalil Agboola said.

Junior Victor Kum participated in the 4×4. “We fought hard and fought until the end to come out with the win,” Kum said.

Sophomore Baebaa Sayeh and senior Anthony Rush qualified for nationals.

Come see the ‘Rines next meet on Saturday, March 30 at the Patriot Invitational at Thomas Johnson High School.