Fitbit lets students and staff track activity, compete to get most steps

For the holiday season, a Fitbit is what athletes and those seeking motivation to exercise have on their Christmas list. Fitbit helps to track your activity, exercise, food intake, weight and sleep cycle.

The Fitbit is a fitness watch that meets your individual exercise habits and patterns. Fitbit not only allows you to compete with or encourage friends who own one, but also syncs to your phone and computer.

Sophomore Katherine Campbell bought herself a black Fitbit Charge “It’s lit,” she said. “I play a lot of sports so I like knowing what I did that day.” She uses her Fitbit while playing field hockey and lacrosse to monitor how much activity she’s done and how many calories she’s burned throughout her games. Campbell added, “I used it a lot while lifeguarding during the summer.”

Sophomore Rudy Lopez received the Fitbit Charge that tracks his activity and sleep as a gift. He uses it to track his steps and tries to meet the ten thousand step goal daily. He uses it in activities such as running, various exercise plans, and just simple walking.

Many of the teachers in the social studies department own a Fitbit. Social studies teacher Michelle Pettit owns the Fitbit Charge HR and she said that it helps her to keep on top of her fitness. It makes her more aware of her movements. “Whenever I have idle time, it makes me realize that I should use that time to at least be walking, although it’s not rigorous exercise,” she added.

“There are now steps that I take that I haven’t taken before,” Pettit said. Her Fitbit also syncs with an app called Myfitnesspal and shows her everything that the Fitbit is monitoring. It allows her to compete with other teachers in the Social Studies Department to see who got the most steps daily.

Social studies teacher Michael Celenza owns the Fitbit Surge, which keeps track of daily activities, how many calories he is burning, healthy and unhealthy foods to eat, programs for exercise, and also allows for communication and notifies him of when a goal has been reached.

Science teacher Matt Johnson owns the Fitbit Zip, which allows him to track his steps and motivates him to get healthy. He wears his on his hip with a strap and is currently in a challenge with some teachers from the social studies department. “I can beat my friends and compete against them with the weekly steps that I take,” Johnson said.