Tickets now on sale for WMHS’ third annual African Ball

Josephine Oshagbemi

The Watkins Mill High School annual African Ball will be held February 23 at 6:30 p.m. in the main gymnasium.

Bianca Johnson, Associate Editor

Watkins Mill High School’s third annual African Ball will be held Saturday, February 23 from 6-11 p.m. in the main gym. The African Student Association has worked hard to put together a night full of fun and culture, with food, entertainment and lots of dancing.

Some of the different events throughout the night include the Mr. and Ms. ASA competition, a fashion show, and dance team performances. “Don’t feel like just because you’re not African, you can’t come ’cause it will be fun,” ASA president Nana Tutu said.

This year’s ball will feature DJ Akua, who won the international DJ of the year award in 2017. “We were very lucky to get her at the price we got her for,” ASA vice president Josephine Oshagbemi said.

“I’ve always watched them plan it since my freshman year and I always wanted to be a part of the behind-the-scenes,” Oshagbemi said. There will be a program given out to everyone the night of the event. “It’s stressful but exciting at the same time,” Oshagbemi added.

“I enjoyed watching Mr. and Ms. ASA when they demonstrated their talents,” senior Neba Ndonwi said. Last year, student advocates from Clarksburg High School and Watkins Mill went head-to-head, competing in different categories to be crowned Mr. or Ms. ASA. “I have my mind set on going [again],” Ndonwi added.

Mr. and Ms. ASA will include a showcase of their country’s clothing, African trivia, and talents. “We are going to make a Google Form and we are going to put the QR code all over the tables,” Oshagbemi said. The ASA will use this new way of gathering votes to decide the winners.

Tickets will be sold throughout the week in the mixing bowl for $20 each.