Sports Wrap-Up: November 5, 2018

Israel Safo and Arthur Siqueira

Football

Watkins Mill Wolverines varsity lost a hard fought battle to James Blake Hubert High School Bengals by a score of 15 to 16 at Gaithersburg High School Saturday, November 3. They played well and fought hard until the very end. ‘Rines were up 15 to 3 but unfortunately fell short with 13 unanswered points from the Bengals. Senior De’Jion Martin had a great game, recording two interceptions on the night.

“I think we improved a lot from the start of the season to the end of the season… but unfortunately we didn’t end the way we wanted to because of little mistakes and a few bad play-calls,” junior Caleb Obiarinze Mbulle said.

The ‘Rines finished the season with a record of seven wins and three losses.

Thanks to Head Coach Mike Brown and the rest of the coaching staff and ‘Rines varsity football team for a fantastic season. Go ‘Rines!

Cross Country

Watkins Mill Cross Country Wolverines competed in their last showing of the season Thursday, November 1 in a hard-fought battle at regionals at The Mill to place for states. All the teams in the county were there.

Freshman Maya Orellana was the only girl that ran and broke 30 minutes.

Senior Zach Pepperl was the top runner for the ‘Rines, recording a time of 19 minutes and 32 seconds and placed at 23 out of 80 runners.

Naveen Smith had a personal record of 20 minutes and 16 seconds. “He really improved dramatically,” Coach Mary Frank said.

Thank you to Coach Frank and the rest of the cross country staff and runners for a fantastic season. Go ‘Rines!

About the Writers
Israel Safo, Sports Editor

Israel Safo is a junior at Watkins Mill High School and a Sports Editor for The Current. He likes to write, explore new ideas, and listen to music. He would like to go to an Ivy League school and become a very wealthy entrepreneur/lawyer when he grows up. He is on the road to being the first African American multi-trillionaire.

Arthur Siqueira, Graphics Designer

Arthur Siqueira is a junior at Watkins Mill and is a Graphics Designer and Sports Editor for The Current. He enjoys vigorously staring at his extensive collection of horse-themed collectibles whose target audience may or may not be girls aged 5-12, (THEY AREN’T TOYS) and riding his vintage Razor scooter everywhere.