‘Rines lay siege to Trojans, come away with epic victory

Jade Pinkowitz

Junior Christian Bergman gets ready to play some offense

Israel Safo, Sports Editor

Varsity football team defeated the Gaithersburg High School Trojans with a score of 40-18 on Friday, October 25 at Gaithersburg.

Sophomore quarterback Kyle Wingate opened up the scoring for the ‘Rines by rushing for a two-yard touchdown, followed by an interception from senior De’Jion Martin for 18 yards for a touchdown in the first quarter.

Junior Caleb Obiarinze Mbulle loved how the team executed plays and scored many points. “We did exactly what the coaches wanted for us to do on offense and scored many points because of it,” Obiarinze Mbulle said.

The ‘Rines scored one touchdown in the second quarter with a 19-yard receiving touchdown from Martin. Martin threw a 58-yard touchdown to junior Demetrius Rush for 58 yards, followed by another touchdown in the third by junior David Okoli for nine yards.

The ‘Rines ended the game with a 38-yard rush from Martin for a touchdown to make it 39 points.

“The team played very well and we did enough to get the win and beat the Trojans,” said Wingate.

Martin had a fantastic game, scoring four total touchdowns: one interception return, one passing, one receiving and one rushing.

Rush rushed for 145 yards on six attempts and a touchdown. “I think the team had a great game,” Rush said. “We did almost everything to perfection.”

The ‘Rines defense held the Trojans to one of their fewest points of the season, only allowing 18 total points.

“The defense made many big plays getting sacks, interceptions, etc. and not allowing too many yards,” junior Khalil Agboola said. “I love how we played on both sides of the ball and we have been doing this all season.”

The ‘Rines have won six of their last seven games, only losing to the Damascus High School Hornets.

Come join the ‘Rines at home for their final regular season game against James Hubert Blake High School Bengals. Go ‘Rines!