Wolverines knock Falcons out of nest in 54-0 blowout

Senior  Devio'N Bridges catches a pass against the Poolesville Falcons on October 19

Senior Devio'N Bridges catches a pass against the Poolesville Falcons on October 19

Jade Pinkowitz

Jade Pinkowitz

Israel Safo and Arthur Siqueira

Watkins Mill High School Wolverines varsity football team dominated the Poolesville High School Falcons by a score of 54-0 on Friday, October 18.

The Wolverines’ offense put up 28 points in the first quarter with a touchdown after a failed punt from the Falcons, followed by a safety and a recovered kickoff for another touchdown. They started the second quarter off with a 45 receiving yard touchdown from senior De’Jion Martin, making it 35-0.

The ‘Rines did amazing on defense, shutting the Falcons out with zero points allowed all game. The ‘Rines ended the half up 41-0.

Sophomore quarterback Kyle Wingate had an outstanding game against the Falcons. He threw for 327 yards with 13 completions and threw for six passing touchdowns. “We did great on defense not allowing them to score and executed plays on offense,” Wingate said, “The coaches put us in a great position to win the game.”

Wingate started his first game for the ‘Rines in place of senior Lucas Elenga, who is currently injured. Wingate had an amazing game with only three in-completions.

The ‘Rines put up their most points against a team all season, beating their personal record of 42 points.

Senior Isaiah Goslee believed the team played as best as they could. “The game was great, we did near perfect on both sides of the ball and shut them out,” Goslee said, “I’m very happy with the team’s performance and hope we can keep it up.”

Senior Devio’N Bridges recorded two receiving touchdowns. Sophomore Baebaa Sayeh rushed for two rushing touchdowns as well, with one of them being for 65 yards to make it 48-0. “I think the team and I played very well and worked very hard,” Sayeh said.

“I loved how we played… if we play like this every game nobody is going to stop us,” junior Khalil Agboola said.

Come join the ‘Rines Friday, October 25 at Gaithersburg High School against the Trojans at 6:30pm. Go ‘Rines!

About the Writers
Israel Safo, Sports Editor

Israel Safo is a junior at Watkins Mill High School and a Sports Editor for The Current. He likes to write, explore new ideas, and listen to music. He would like to go to an Ivy League school and become a very wealthy entrepreneur/lawyer when he grows up. He is on the road to being the first African American multi-trillionaire.

Arthur Siqueira, Graphics Designer

Arthur Siqueira is a junior at Watkins Mill and is a Graphics Designer and Sports Editor for The Current. He enjoys vigorously staring at his extensive collection of horse-themed collectibles whose target audience may or may not be girls aged 5-12, (THEY AREN’T TOYS) and riding his vintage Razor scooter everywhere.