Voting provides outlet for expression of beliefs, values

Arthur Siqueira

Yes, it’s pumpkin spice season, but more importantly, it’s election season

Aisha Sowe, Associate Editor

Do you know what the most important season is for Americans? No, it’s not pumpkin spice season, it’s election season! People nationwide are lining up to vote for the candidates they want in office.

Why is it important to vote, you ask?

Voting is a basic civic right and responsibility in this country. If you’re 18 or older, you can vote in your county, state and country. You can vote for the candidates who have the same beliefs as you. Voting is “less about voting certain people in more than voting certain people out,” English teacher Sonya Shpilyuk said.

“I think people who we don’t want to see in office get into office because people stay home and do not vote,” English teacher Joseph Rosenfeld said. There were times when Rosenfeld had negative views on the people who were running for office, but was raised in a way to always vote and express himself.

Shpilyuk has a sticker on her car that says, “If the 99% voted, the 1% wouldn’t matter.” Meaning, if everyone who could vote participated in voting, then it wouldn’t matter how much money billionaires are giving to whatever cause. 

“The fact that you can participate at all is really a blessing,” History teacher Thomas Sneddon said.

“I think [this generation] has the opportunity to become one of the largest voting blocks in our country,” Shpilyuk said. Rosenfeld used the example of the survivors of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting and said he was was impressed that they used the momentum from the tragedy to create a national platform to discuss important issues related to what happened. 

One way that you can get involved in the elections is to have an awareness of what’s going on in your community. Invite newspapers and the media and tell them what you want them to hear. “Find out who your candidates are and what they believe in and really think what represents you,” Shiplyuk added.

Voting “may not be fun or interesting to deal with, but it’s necessary,” Rosenfeld added. If you’re 18 or older, go out and vote on November 6. If you’re younger, encourage your parents or guardians to do the same. Make sure your voice is heard so that whoever you think represents your beliefs is in office.

“You can’t have democracy without voting,” Sneddon added.