Peeking through The Keyhole: WMHS’s literary magazine

Jubilee Robinson

They Keyhole’s official poster

Gisell Maravi, News Managing Editor

Whether you are an aspiring poet or just looking for a way to unleash your creative side, the Keyhole has a place for you. The Keyhole is Watkins Mill’s very own literary magazine where students are encouraged to submit anything from short stories to music or art.

Created a couple of years back by Watkins Mill students, the Keyhole is a diverse platform where students can share their artistic creations with others. “We wanted to make sure kids at Watkins Mill had an outlet for their creations where it could be published,” editor-in-chief Jubilee Robinson said.

With the help of English teacher Samuel Lee, the students were able to accomplish a domain for their work. Lee is the sponsor for the Keyhole and helps assist officers with fundraising. “We wanted to revive the long-forgotten literary magazine of the school and have kids that like to write, perform, or paint a place to show off their work,” Lee said.

Submissions do not just stop at creative writing, students can submit anything from poetry to musical compositions to a dance routine. The possibilities are endless. “I love that it’s very creative. I love that you can express yourself. I love that there are so many different mediums you can use. It’s so broad and I feel like that something Watkins Mill needs,” Robinson added.

The Keyhole plans on getting Watkins Mill’s art club involved and getting enough submissions for regular uploads. “I’ve looked at the website and you can do so much from art to song lyrics which I think is unique,” senior Aisha Sowe said.

Submissions can be sent in via the club’s website, emailed to [email protected] or emailed to [email protected].

They urge anyone who is interested to join. The Keyhole hosts regular meetings every Thursday during STEP in room A205. “Join, come next Thursday. Come often, work hard, and tell your friends!” Lee added.

Make sure to follow our official Twitter: @WmKeyhole