Sports Wrap Up: September 12, 2018

Freshman Josh Miller swings during the September 6 golf match.

Vicky Miller

Vicky Miller

Arthur Siqueira

Girls Volleyball

Watkins Mill girls varsity volleyball took down the Paint Branch Panthers at their first home game, 3-1. Watkins Mill took the first two sets 22-11, 25-22,  respectively. Paint Branch came back to take the third set from the ‘Rines 25-18 but the girls closed out the game in the forth set 25-21.

“They pushed hard even though it was hard to watch the third set, they came back in the end,” coach Kauri Martin said.

Team captain Jade Pinkowitz added, “I’m so proud of my team and so proud the we worked so hard. They’re some of the best girls I know.”

Go support the girls at home this Thursday, September 13 vs. Gaithersburg at 6:30 pm.

Golf

A revamped golf team have high hopes going into the new season. The team’s latest match was on September 6 at Needwood Golf Course. They finished second among four schools. Coach Rick Riley now has a roster of six golfers who are 3-3 in the season.

“I’m proud of my boys,” Riley said.  “They played a great game beat out two other schools. I’m looking forward to our next game.”

About the Writer
Arthur Siqueira, Graphics Designer

Arthur Siqueira is a junior at Watkins Mill and is a Graphics Designer and Sports Editor for The Current. He enjoys vigorously staring at his extensive collection of horse-themed collectibles whose target audience may or may not be girls aged 5-12, (THEY AREN’T TOYS) and riding his vintage Razor scooter everywhere.