Football wages two-night war against Colonels, brings home big victory

Israel Safo and Arthur Siqueira

Wolverines varsity football defeated the Magruder Colonels 26-6 this weekend in a game that began Friday night but finished Saturday night at Paint Branch High School due to inclement weather.

On Friday night, the ‘Rines came out strong leading 13-0 in the first quarter. The game was called off due to thunder five minutes into the second quarter. It resumed Saturday with 7:06 left in the second quarter.

“I think the defense played well because the coaching staff came up with a great game plan,”  junior Caleb Obiarinze Mbulle said. “We did a great job of being disciplined and listening in practice so it helped us execute in the game.”  The Wolverine defense held the Colonels to six points throughout both nights.

Senior Lucas Elenga opened the game with an 11-yard scramble, followed by junior David Okoli, who caught a 31-yard touchdown. Okoli also had a 44-yard touchdown reception to make the score 20-0. Senior Devio’N Bridges received a 23-yard touchdown to increase the score to 26-0.

Defense was the highlight of [the game],” senior linebacker Andy Deleon said. “We were tackling and swarming to the ball well,” Deleon added.

Watkins Mill was shut out after the first half, but only gave up a single touchdown to Colonel running back Mason David who rushed for a 55-yard touchdown making the score 26-6.

With our defense, we feel confident taking on any offense,” said senior running back Anthony Rush. The team’s culture is way more of a family compared to years past,” he added.

Sophomore quarterback Kyle Wingate believes the team bounced back well, from their week one loss to Montgomery Blair High School. “We executed better this week and were more focused than Blair last week.”

The ‘Rines will move on with a 1-1 record and face the Bethesda-Chevy Chase Barons on Friday, September 14 at B-CC.  GO ‘RINES’!

About the Writers
Israel Safo, Sports Editor

Israel Safo is a junior at Watkins Mill High School and a Sports Editor for The Current. He likes to write, explore new ideas, and listen to music. He would like to go to an Ivy League school and become a very wealthy entrepreneur/lawyer when he grows up. He is on the road to being the first African American multi-trillionaire.

Arthur Siqueira, Graphics Designer

Arthur Siqueira is a junior at Watkins Mill and is a Graphics Designer and Sports Editor for The Current. He enjoys vigorously staring at his extensive collection of horse-themed collectibles whose target audience may or may not be girls aged 5-12, (THEY AREN’T TOYS) and riding his vintage Razor scooter everywhere.