CollegeTracks provides financial aid, application help for all students

Sarah Elbeshbishi and Fiona Franke

CollegeTracks, a college access and success program, is coming to Watkins Mill High School in early January, aiding low-to-moderate income, first-generation-to-college students with college applications and financial aid.

CollegeTracks started as a little program in 2002, created by three parents of Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School students, who realized that some of their children’s peers were not having the same experience applying to colleges because of the lack of college-experienced adults in their lives. So once a week, those parents helped seniors in the college and career center.

For several years volunteers, recruited by the parents, helped about 60 students annually. They later moved to a local community center closer to the students’ homes and families, allowing more time for help. They became aware of funding available for college access programs, applied, and got it after becoming partnered with Montgomery County Public Schools.

“Fast forward, now we’re at three schools and there will be approximately 16 paid, full-time staff members and 80 or so volunteers. And the rest was history,” CollegeTracks co-founder Nancy Leopold said. “If you’re on track to graduate, and you need help through the college admissions and financial aid process because you don’t know very many adults who had experience with it, then we want to help you.”    

CollegeTracks is coming to Watkins Mill for several reasons. One of these reasons is because both of their other schools, Wheaton and BCC are in the down-county area, and they wanted to work with a school in the up-county area. “Watkins Mill is among those schools who have the most students who need our services,” Leopold said.

This school year, CollegeTracks will be assist juniors with college admissions and financial aid milestones. The program will be available to anyone who needs help, regardless of financial situation, grades or test scores.

During the 2016-2017 school year, CollegeTracks will serve upcoming juniors and seniors. “Our goal is to help students expand their options….[and] to make sure kids have schools on their lists that work for them,” Leopold said.