WMHS Rocks the Block Saturday in second annual celebration

Rock the Block flyer

Vicki Wong

Rock the Block will start this Saturday, June 2 from 3-6pm at Watkins Mill High School, marking the second year of the event since its launch last year.

About 800 people came last year with a full parking lot. This year there are new sponsors, businesses, and community members participating. Over 100 students from all grade levels have volunteered and graduating seniors are coming back to help. Rock the Block organizer Matthew Johnson and his volunteers have visited elementary and middle schools to promote the event.

“My favorite part of Rock the Block is seeing our student volunteers interacting with the young kids and families and really showing the great students we have here at Watkins Mill High School,” Johnson said.

Visitors will receive a map, brochure of sponsors and activities, and performance schedule. Parking, entrance, and games will be free. There will be performances by groups including the marching band, drumline, jazz band, Mr. Watkins Mill contestants, Nova K-pop group, Beauty and the Brains from RecZone, dancers from the African Student Association, and cheerleaders.

Rock the Block is “a fun day for the whole community to celebrate the great things going on… at Watkins Mill High School,” Johnson added.

New activities have been added. Mad Science will bring a van to do live science experiments and a sand station will be added to build sand sculptures. Popular activities from last year include the dunk tank, prize wheel, and rock wall. The event is “fun for the family, it’s fun for all ages,” junior volunteer Michael Mallonga said.

The prize wheel uses $2 tickets with prizes ranging from Orange Nation wristbands to $20-$25 gift cards. T-shirts will be available for sale and on the prize wheel. Visitors can purchase food from food trucks such as Kona Ice and Molcajete Street.

Various gift cards and certificates will be given away from Bruster’s, Da Marco, The Greene Turtle, Barking Mad Cafe, &pizza, Wingstop, and other businesses. The first 400 people to arrive will receive a BOGO card from Chipotle. The PTSA will raffle off an Amazon Alexa.

“Come on out, rain or shine,” Johnson said.