Wolverines defeat Knights, advance to next battle in playoffs tonight

Wolverines took the shine out of the Wheaton Knights’ armor on November 6, making history by defeating them 33-0, sending the ‘Rines straight to playoffs tonight for the first time in 16 years.

Since 1999, Watkins Mill was not quite able to make playoffs, but this year the tables have turned. Senior running back and linebacker Antony Zavala made the first touchdown against Wheaton, with many following after throughout the entire game.

The team came in ready to dominate because this was one of the most important games of the season. Junior wide receiver Daquan Wims said that his mindset for the game was “to win the game and to do whatever I had to do to help my team win.”

Our boys were focused and serious on the day of the big game because, “as a team we’re canceling out all distractions so we can stay focused,” sophomore strong safety Devin McRoy said.

The coaches made sure the boys were mentally and physically prepared as well by making every player drink a gallon of water throughout the school day. Staying hydrated was a key preparation for this game. Sophomore quarterback Markel Grant said, “The practices were good, we all knew that this game meant a lot, we worked hard and prepared for this game like it was our last.”

Six minutes into the first quarter, the first touchdown was made by Zavala. Adding to the excitement of his touchdown, Zavala celebrated his seventeenth birthday on the field and said it felt amazing to win on his birthday. “[It] made me feel like crying,” Zavala said. After their big win, the team huddled up and sang “Happy Birthday” to Zavala.

The team was astonished by the win. “It was breathtaking,” senior wide receiver Corey Perry added.

The second touchdown was made by Grant in the first quarter. “I have to be mentally prepared,” Grant said. “I just have to give it all I got and leave everything on the field.” By winning this ticket to the playoffs, the ‘Rines are celebrating the end of the regular season for the seniors.

The team is ready to run into their first playoff game and give it their all. It’s been a tough season for the boys, but with the motivation and support of students, staff and family members, nothing is impossible for the ‘Rines.

Make sure to be there when the Wolverines battle the Wheaton Knights a second time tonight at Blair High School.  Be there to witness greatness with the help of Orange Nation!

football 2Katerina Molina

football 3Katerina Molina