Alumnus raises $3,000 to replace outdated weight room equipment

Alumni Joe Hooks checks out the new equipment that his GoFundMe page was able to purchase

You’ll never have an excuse to skip leg day again now that Watkins Mill High School alumnus Joe Hooks started a GoFundMe to renovate the weight room.

Hooks graduated in 2003 and was a two-year varsity letterman in football and track. He was a team captain, starting linebacker, fullback and a sprinter who placed fifth in the county championships in the 100m dash in 2003.

He was also in activities such as BOSS which stood for “Brotherhood of Super Stars,” a student enrichment program for African American students.

Hooks made the GoFundMe page two months ago in hopes of raising his goal of just $1,000.

However, with the enthusiasm of other alumni and through his close connection with University of Arizona football, Hooks was able to raise more than $3,000 in donations ranging from $20-$350.  This money was used to get three all-purpose racks, a bench, and newer, improved dumbbells from Towson University.

“I used to spend most of my time in the weight room,” Hooks said. “When I always came back to work out… [the athletes] couldn’t do the important strengthening with the old, bent, rusted weights they had since 1989.”

Hooks spread the word mostly through social media such as Facebook, Twitter and YouTube. He also texted and called other alumni for their email addresses to spread the word about the need for help and support.

“I was just frustrated with the way it looked like no one cared and how the guys weren’t excited about their place to get better,” Hooks added. “I wanted [the athletes] to have a better and fair shot to succeed.”

Senior football captain linebacker Clarence McNeary, a close friend of Hooks, said, “I was really grateful, he is someone that loves the program and the staff and students here and really wants to see us be successful.”

Athletic director Reggie Spears was involved by allowing Hooks to publicly ask for support and donating to the cause himself. Football coach and WMHS alumnus Andrew Mele also did some alumni outreach to support it.

Spears found this whole experience inspirational and hopes it will encourage others who need help making improvements to do so.  “Plant a seed and see where it grows,” he suggested.  “If you ask, sometimes you will receive.”