Clancyworks Dancers wow students at lunchtime dance performance

Vijay Vanathayan

ClancyWorks dancers performing an African style dance routine

Karyn Chambers and Vijay Vanathayan

ClancyWorks Dance Company came to perform a few dance routines during STEP on November 4 in the main gym.  The dancers showed off their skills, talent, and knowledge of many dance styles.

ClancyWorks came to show everyone that there are different types and styles of dance.  “I think some of the students liked it,” physical education teacher Kauri Martin said.  “It just brought [dance] awareness to the school.” They performed African, South-American, Brazilian and hip-hop style dance routines.

Martin said her favorite performances were the Latin style ones. “It was fun [to watch],”  Martin added. “I always have fun at dance events.”

Founder of ClancyWorks Dance Company and artistic director, Adrienne Clancy has been working with Watkins Mill High School for ten years now, and has brought performances to the Mill for the past couple of years. They also performed at a lot of other high schools, and some middle schools as well.

“It was cool to see all the different dancers and how they moved,” sophomore Katherine Campbell said. “[My favorite was] the hip-hop routine, because it was modern.”

ClancyWorks aims to help better the lives of individuals by using the arts to help people connect, understand one another, and “to advance positive social action.” Their goal is to, “shift perceptions through performance.” Freshman Taylor Dawson said, “I really liked the ballet dance; it was very beautiful.”

The company reaches out to students and encourages them to study the arts through their educational dance programs, where they focus on quality performances, arts in education, community engagement, and professional development.  Students will learn group interactions, partnered dances, and have some fun too.

ClancyWorks has something for everyone. “My favorite was the west African dance.  It was fun [to watch],” freshman Genesis Jimenez said.

People who are interested in trying dance, or just something new should visit their website.  On their website, you can find more information regarding what ClancyWorks Dance Company is all about, who they are, and what they have to offer.

ClancyWorks dancers performing a partner routine
Vijay Vanathayan