Students say yes to the prom dress at Discovery Communications event

Senior+Yann+

Senior Yann

Jessica Cruz

Selected Watkins Mill High School seniors attended Discovery Communications’ “Say Yes To The Dress” event where they picked out dresses and tuxes for prom. This is the second consecutive year Watkins Mill students attended.

Watkins Mill was the only school in Montgomery County chosen by Discovery to participate in the event among with four to five other schools from neighboring counties. Seniors were selected by their counselors depending on their GPA.

The event lasted two hours and Discovery set up stations for dresses, shoes, jewelry, hair, makeup, tuxedo fitting, haircuts, games and an eating area. Students were even able to meet Monte Durham from TLC show “Say Yes To The Dress.”

“Meeting [Durham] was my favorite part of the day,” said senior Tori Enamorado. “When I was younger I used to watch his show, I never thought I’d be standing next to him looking for a prom dress.”

When the students walked in they were welcomed with cheers and claps. “They welcomed us like no one else had before,” said senior Cinthya Salas. “They made us feel special from the moment we step foot in the building.” 

Everything was free and the students got to take it home the same day. The boys couldn’t take the tuxes home due to a lack of supply. However they did get their measurements taken and received a gift card with the exact amount of money the tuxes cost.

The staff at the event were really patient and everyone got to try on all the outfits they wanted. Students got honest feedback and suggestions.

Every time a girl said yes to a dress everyone stopped and clapped. Makeup and hair was done to show what styles could potentially work for prom night. All the looks were quick and easy to do.

Students watched a video from Oprah Winfrey where she talked about how the end of high school deserved a celebration, as well as congratulating students on their hard work and dedication to finish up strong.

“My favorite part was the laughter and joy I heard the entire time,” said counseling secretary Ana Taffo. “All of our WM students were very appreciative.” In the end students ran out of time to eat lunch so they were given bags with healthy snacks inside.