Annual spring break trip takes students to wonders of the world in China

Terracotta Warriors, Xi'an China

Terracotta Warriors, Xi'an China

Jubilee Robinson

Jubilee Robinson

Terracotta Warriors, Xi'an China

Bianca Johnson and Jubilee Robinson

Nineteen Watkins Mill High School students and four adults traveled to the opposite side of the world this year for the annual spring break trip.

The 12-hour time difference wasn’t the only thing different in China. From the things the locals eat to the way they talk, it was not hard to see the cultural differences. Chinese history was captivating and filled with numerous dynasties and emperors.

The students threw themselves into the Chinese daily life. Well, as much as a group of American tourists could.  China is a huge country and because the students were at tourist attractions, they would run into people from rural parts of the country. In those rural parts there is not a lot of diversity, so many of those tourists had never seen a Westerner in real life.

Some highlights of the trip included many historical sites, like two of the World Wonders: the Terracotta Warriors and the Great Wall. Students tried foods like scorpion, starfish and spider–actually, social studies teacher Adam Swartz tried scorpion, starfish and spider. They felt genuine silk, drank a lot of tea, and brought back some very cool souvenirs.

Koi pond in Yu Garden, Shanghai China

About the Contributors
Bianca Johnson, Associate Editor

Bianca Johnson has been on the newspaper staff since Junior year and is an Associate Editor for The Current. She plans on traveling around the world and studying communications while in college. Her dream in life is to have her own TV show and build her own house.

Jubilee Robinson, Associate Editor

Jubilee Robinson is the Associate Editor for The Current has been writing for the newspaper since her Freshman year. She is the President of the LGBTQ+ Club, Editor In Chief of  Watkins Mill’s Literary Magazine, and Drama Club Tech Captain. She plans to continue her education at Depaul University in Chicago and major in Stage Management and Design. She wishes to continue journalism in college as well.