Senior selected as one of Bethesda Magazine’s ‘Most Extraordinary Teens’

Senior Sarah Elbeshbishi was the first Watkins Mill High School student to be named one of Bethesda Magazine's Most Extraordinary Teens

AE Photography

AE Photography

Jamie Carmichael

For the first time ever, Bethesda Magazine selected a Watkins Mill High School student as one of its “Extraordinary Teens.” Senior Sarah Elbeshbishi won this honor for her achievements in and around the school community.

Every year, Bethesda Magazine chooses a few select students to showcase their accomplishments, and this year Elbeshbishi was selected. Her feature in the magazine focuses on the story she wrote for The Current last year, after one of her classmates, senior Je’nan Hayes was benched from the Watkins Mill regional girls basketball game due to her hijab.

The Washington Post then published a story mentioning Elbeshbishi’s article and the story went viral from there leading to a change in the state law.

Elbeshbishi was nominated for this honor earlier in the year by many members of the Watkins Mill staff. “Sarah is just a high-functioning student here, a big part of our school community,”  science teacher Matthew Johnson said. “Sarah is very well rounded in the aspect that she’s able to contribute to the several groups she’s involved in.”

For as long as anyone can remember, Elbeshbishi has always been the person to speak up and take action in positions that no one else would dare to take. She is a leader in the school, from being senior class president to Editor-in-Chief of The Current, while also acting as stage manager for theatre and being active in sports.

Elbeshbishi participates in the International Baccalaureate program at Watkins Mill, taking many rigorous classes everyday, yet still has the discipline to manage her time. “No one is as mature or as responsible as her,” English teacher David Sampselle said. “She’s thorough, she’s dependable, and her work has a lot of good insight in it.”

Through hard work and keen motivation, Elbeshbishi’s success has officially put her own and Watkins Mill’s name on the board. Principal Carol Goddard said, “She has proven herself in this building more than once.” She efficiently sets up and manages school events, despite the complexity of some of her tasks.

Elbeshbishi participates in clubs such as National Honors Society, Student Government Association, Orange Nation (the school spirit association for Watkins Mill), sports, theatre, and the Quill and Scroll journalism honor society. She has never failed to stop testing her limits and pushing her drive to succeed in life making her an excellent addition to the Bethesda Magazine of Extraordinary Students.

Overall Elbeshbishi’s hard working talents and accomplishments have only benefit her in the best of ways, including with this award. She has accomplished so much at Watkins Mill and has proven to be the most dedicated in all aspects of her student career. Not only has she won top awards, but Elbeshbishi was also recently named the Maryland Student Journalist of the Year by the Journalism Education Association.

“She’s incredible and she’s proven that,” Goddard added.

The article featuring Elbeshbishi will appear on Bethesda Magazine’s website on Monday, March 26.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Senior selected as one of Bethesda Magazine’s ‘Most Extraordinary Teens’”

1. Mike Ryan on March 16th, 2018 8:42 am

Congratulations, Sarah! And congratulations to The Current, the journalists on The Current, and Mrs. Confino! This is an amazing honor. Sarah is a perfect representative of the great things happening here at The Mill!
    Mr. Ryan (Counselor)

[Reply]

Sarah Elbeshbishi Reply:

Thank you so much! I, and the rest of the Current staff, appreciate all your support!!

[Reply]

• Senior selected as one of Bethesda Magazine’s ‘Most Extraordinary Teens’

School

Johnson leaves Watkins Mill for new role, promises to stay involved

School

Straight A students rewarded with field trip to National Zoo

School

MyMCPS replaces Edline, Google Classroom as online grading tool

School

Class of 2018 finishes high school with touching graduation ceremony

School

Assistant principal brings order to Clemente Middle School next year

School

WMHS Rocks the Block Saturday in second annual celebration

School

Photo gallery: Seniors celebrate final day with prank, barbecue

School

Photo gallery: Gatsby prom provides great memories

School

Johnson recognized with BOE Distinguished Service Award

School

Senior Vijay Vanathayan asks president of everything at Watkins Mill Sarah Elbeshbishi to prom with only 8 days left

Social Media Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com

The student news site of Watkins Mill High School