Spring spirit week kicks off with meme day, ends with pep rally

Sarah Elbeshbishi

Junior Jamie Carmichael takes a bite out of sophomore Arthur Siqueira as part of meme day

Cameron Moore

Spring sports have just begun and to kick off the season, Watkins Mill High School is holding a spring spirit week that will end with a pep rally on Friday.

For this spirit week, the themes were picked by students through Twitter polls as well as feedback from Orange Nation. “[We want] to make sure we do everything the students want,” science teacher and Orange Nation leader Matthew Johnson said.

The spirit week themes are meme day, TV or character day, orange out, throwback and class colors.

Flyer for spirit week

Sophomore Arthur Siqueira dressed as a Tide Pod for meme day.  “I felt like it was something unique…. It was a dumb trend that was so meme worthy that I couldn’t pass up a chance to do it.”

The spring sports pep rally will take place at the end of the week at the stadium. During it, there will be an introduction of captains and sports teams, as well as performances from the Olas and K-pop dance groups.

The pep rally will also have games that students from the crowd will be picked to compete in. Prizes and giveaways will be distributed to the winners and randomly to the audience.

While it will be similar to previous years, there will be a new spring event created by Orange Nation: War of the Wolverines.  War of the Wolverines is a field-day style class competition that revolves around spring sports. It will be held right after the pep rally from 2:30 to 4 pm.

Any students interested in participating in War of the Wolverines can sign up and get a wristband in the mixing bowl at lunch. The sports teams are also invited to come and participate as well.

“I think the turnout of the War of the Wolverines will be great because there’s going to be food and lots of activities, and overall a good time for students that want to be involved,” senior Orange Nation member Aaron Merlos said.