Poms team wraps up season with commendable effort at county competition

Brandon Rodriguez

Poms getting ready to perform at counties

Lisa Dawson

Lisa Dawson

Kola Akinnibi and Hezekiah Likekele

The Watkins Mill High School poms concluded their season Saturday, February 3 at the Montgomery County Public School poms county competition at Blair High School.

The girls placed fourth out of nine teams at the competition, despite there being problems with the music at Blair.

The season for the girls started off in August, when they began conditioning together for the first time in preparation for the football season.

Seniors took much pride in their final ride on the poms team. “[We] made the best of it,” senior Dariana Girao said.  

During their season they had rigorous practices which led them to improve through the year. “As a team, we learned to understand our strengths and weaknesses,” junior Djemene Adeline said.  

In between performances during football and basketball seasons, poms performed at the Northwest and Damascus Invitationals. The team received the second place captains award and a spirit award, while also placing third overall.

“We could have been sharper and our energy could [have] been higher [at counties],” sophomore Leah Niles said. Prior to counties, poms had three other competitions. 

Although the girls placed fourth at counties, they were only 14 points shy of placing in the top three. While the season might not have ended the way they would have liked, it was a memorable season for them. The best part of this season was “growing our sisterhood as a team,” senior captain Eudel Ndong said.

If you’re interested in joining the sisterhood that is poms, talk to coach Theresa Phillips. 

About the Writers
Hezekiah Likekele, News Editor

Hezekiah Likekele is a junior writer for Watkins Mill High School Current. He is primarily a sports writer but can also be a great addition for news and features. He also writes hilarious columns when he puts in good effort. Writing was never his favorite thing to do, but once taught how to perfect his craft by Mrs. Confino, realized the talent he could provide for the school that he loves. Hezekiah is also a member of Cross Country, Lacrosse, Project Lead The Way, and the Minority Scholars Program. Although he is unsure at what he would like to major in, he knows that civil engineering is an idea that always comes across his mind.

1 Comment

One Response to “Poms team wraps up season with commendable effort at county competition”

1. Danielle on May 3rd, 2018 5:47 pm

Hopefully i make the team!! I’m currently a student at Montgomery Village Middle School!