Sports Wrap – Up December 14

Junior+Papito+Kalabu+drives+into+the+paint.+

Alexander Labeach

Junior Papito Kalabu drives into the paint.

Boys Basketball

‘Rines win! The boys basketball team won their first game last night against Thomas Johnson High school and look to keep their win going.

“Feels good [to get the first win of the season], when you do the things you need to do, then you give yourself a chance to win.”, said coach Richard Riley. “Gotta take care of the ball more and take the opportunities that are given to us.”

The ‘Rines look to keep their win streak alive against Clarksburg High School this Friday at home at 5:30pm, so come out and support our ‘Rines to victory.

Girls Basketball

Watkins Mills girls varsity basketball team put up quite a fight, despite losing their first three games of the season to Springbrook, Northwest, and Thomas Johnson High School.

Going into the teams third game against Thomas Johnson, senior Connie Moody had a completely new attitude.“We’re going to help each other out and work better as a team,” Moody said. However, the Rines arrived late to their game against Thomas Johnson, putting them at a disadvantage. They had little warm up time and didn’t go over any plays, attributing to the teams loss. 

During the Wolverines first two games against Springbrook and Northwest the team had trouble with skills such as communication.“We didn’t play together and use our fundamental skills… and our basketball IQ to beat our opponent,” senior Heaven Atta said. The Rines plan on working more on their fundamental skills and communication during the next few practices.

The Rines will be playing Clarksburg High School Friday, December 14 in a varsity double header home game at 7:30. Come out and support!