Juniors come out on top in clashing of classes last Wednesday

Jedd Manuel

Classes battle it out in 3-legged race

Nana Osei Tutu

Freshmen, sophomores, juniors and seniors, where you at?

On Wednesday night, all of the classes battled it out in several games to represent winter sports in spirited competitions for the first annual Clash of the Classes.

The night started off with an introduction by science teacher and Orange Nation sponsor Matt Johnson. Johnson explained the activities and introduced host seniors Tyler Lewis and Sergio Garcia from Ty Time with Tyler and Sergio as well as senior Muhammad Ba. The hosts hyped the crowd and brought excitement as students waited for the main event to start.

“You know in the beginning, I felt like I was gonna throw away the whole show, but eventually I stayed in there, fought hard and never gave up.” Ba said.

All classes participated in a three legged relay race which was played to represent the indoor track and field team. Each team consisted of eight people and were a given baton to hand-off to the next pair. Teams hopped across the gym and back in efforts to get ahead of each other. In the end the seniors won by a blowout. 

The tug of war competition was to represent the strong wrestling team and they gave each class a chance to show off the muscles in their grade. Class of 2019 walked away with the win after an intense battle against the class of 2020.

Teams of three from each class had one person hop on a scooter while being pushed by a teammate who was blindfolded to get swimming gear to the last teammate in the scooter race. Teams crashed into each other while trying to retrieve the gear which entertained the crowd. After a hilarious but tough round, the sophomores took the win.  

In a five minute basketball game between freshmen and juniors, the juniors came out with a win while the seniors outplayed the sophomores. Coming out with a win in their individual games the juniors and seniors played a final three minute game, ending with juniors Idriss Traore and Wahdiyah Memminger bringing the W home. “It was fun. I just wanted to show out for the fans,” Traore said. 

Freshman Sidney Lebomzo, sophomore Seth McCarley, junior Papito Kalabu and senior Josh Ofosu each participated in the dunk contest as a basketball team representative from their class. Kalabu came away with a win earning huge points for the junior class.  

“The students of Orange Nation created the games and planned them and executed them perfectly. I think the dunks were a really great edition and just the good energy of everybody having fun, competing against each other,” Johnson said. 

After under representation but hard fought battles, the junior class came away with the overall win. “I was really, really excited because we originally only had seven people signed up and we were about to be disqualified so everyone counted us out and we won,” Junior Alexandra Aucoin said.

Following the main event, the lights turned off and the music and glow sticks turned on. Students then ended the night with a dance party hosted by DJ Mike.