Seniors and sophomores soar to victory in annual powderpuff game

Jedd Manuel

Both teams set up on the line of scrimmage.

Kevin Finn, Editor-In-Chief

The 2017 annual powderpuff game took place Monday, November 13, finishing with the senior/sophomore team coming out on top.

Both teams entered the game filled with emotion and overwhelming class pride. All competitors had something to lose, so tensions were high throughout the whole game.

The game began with a quick touchdown from junior Jada Sobrati, putting the junior/freshman team up 7-0. The seniors answered back almost immediately, with two touchdowns from Heaven Atta and Daija Harper, putting the senior/sophomore team up 14-7 at the half.

“We had a couple of plays that we would run over and over again, and I think at one point [the other team] even caught on to the names of our plays,” junior coach Spencer Neill added.

Each team’s coaching staff counseled their squads during halftime, but while this was going on, the boys  went through their poms routine. The boys practiced rigorously to prepare for their big halftime routine and to reverse roles with the girls. “We came in during STEP. For all of STEP we would just rehearse the routine,” senior poms performer Saul Flores added.

Sarah Elbeshbishi

Players came back in the second half more fierce than the first. The senior/sophomore team showed that they planned on controlling the second half, starting it off with another touchdown by Harper, as well as a safety later in the half to put the team up 23-7.

The junior/freshman team didn’t go quietly though, putting up a last second touchdown to make the final score 23-14 with the senior/sophomore team on top.

“I think it went decent, considering that they won last year,” Neill added. “They had already played a game before, so they knew which plays worked and which plays didn’t.”

This game went just as expected for the senior/sophomore team, who came in to the game with a confident mentality after winning with the junior/freshman team last year. “Honestly, going into the game, I didn’t expect them to be even close to us, because our roster was just that much more talented. And we had a way better coaching staff,” senior coach Salekri Sayeh said.

Powderpuff 2017 will be the last time the seniors get a chance to compete on the gridiron, leaving behind a legacy of two big wins for the class of 2018. But the juniors and freshman look to come out next year, improve on mistakes, and pick up a win for their respective classes.