Roles set to reverse tonight in annual powderpuff game

Powderpuff+flyer.+

Powderpuff flyer.

Cameron Moore

Girls, grab your cleats and boys, grab your pom poms because it’s everyone’s favorite time of the year: powderpuff time!

The senior-sophomore versus junior-freshman game will be held today, November 13 at 3:30pm in the Wolverine Den. Seneca Valley High School will also be playing at the event in their own powderpuff game. Seneca will be playing first and the ‘Rines will follow them.

Concessions will be opened during both games and National Honor Society will be selling baked goods as a fundraiser. Tickets for the games will be sold at the gate for a $1.

There will be two teams, seniors and sophomores against the juniors and freshman. Each team will have roughly between 20 to 30 players. The teams were decided by a “first come, first serve” concept, senior class president Sarah Elbeshbishi said.

The seniors and sophomores are coached by senior football players Markel Grant, Michael Smith and Salekri Sayeh. For the past few weeks the ladies have been practicing for the big game. “I’m very excited to coach the seniors and sophomores,” Grant said. After several hours of hard practice, the girls are more fired up than ever and so are their coaches.

As well as the amount of preparation the sophomores and seniors have put in, Grant is deeply confident in his team. “The game will turn out in a blowout… the seniors and sophomores will beat the juniors and the freshman easily,” Grant said.

Juniors and freshmen will be led by junior coaches Spencer Neill, Andy Deleon, and Lucas Elenga. This will be the first time they get to coach for powderpuff. “Usually I’m being coached, and now I can coach,” Neill said. The juniors also held practices in preparation for the game over the last several weeks.

Neil believes in his team and his not worried about the sophomores and seniors. “Grant’s team is trash and the seniors are not good…I think our game plan and execution will be great,” Neill said.

Halftime entertainment will consist of a poms performance made up of boys from each grade. Senior poms captain Eudel Ndong choreographed the performance and worked with the boys in preparation for the game.

“It’s taken a lot of preparation,” Ndong said. “Getting boys to all listen at once is hard, but surprisingly they were willing and ready to learn the routine.

Both teams have been trash talking all week, now it’s a matter of time to settle it on the field. So who do you think will win? Come out and watch to find out.