The student news site of Watkins Mill High School

Football falls to Falcons on military appreciation, breast cancer awareness night

Matt Johnson

'Rines football breaks through sign as they take the field.

Matt Johnson

Jamie Carmichael

Watkins Mill football fell short to the Winters Mill Falcons Friday, October 6 with a score of 26-22 at the annual military appreciation night and pink out game.

Prior to the game starting science teacher Matt Johnson called upon the crowd to honor those who have served our country being it was military appreciation night. Johnson then introduced breast cancer survivor, transition teacher Jennifer Mitchelo, to tell about her journey with cancer. Mitchelo was influencing women of all ages to keep a close look on their health.

The ‘Rines decided to wear pink to support breast cancer awareness month since the theme of the game was pink out. “We wore pink to let them know they’re not alone and we’re here to support them,” senior Hezekiah Likekele said.

The game started almost two hours later than intended to due to a miscommunication with the referees, but the Wolverines still came out ready to play. “The energy was great, especially after the delay,” senior captain Michael Smith said about the delay. “Everyone just wanted to go out and play their hearts out,” Smith added.

“We came out mentally ready, but our bodies didn’t,” junior Isiah Goslee said. During the almost two hour delay most of the players sat down, but many others were moving around and stretching. However, when it came time to play “Our bodies weren’t ready to go again,” Goslee added. Sitting down for so long impacted the players.

“We could’ve executed more and lowered the amount penalties we got,” senior Salekri Sayeh said. The penalties were a real setback for the ‘Rines. “If it wasn’t for that we would’ve won,” Sayeh added. However, the ‘Rines continued to put up a hard fight against the Falcons throughout the entire game and fell just a few points short.

The ‘Rines never kept their heads down during the game and stayed positive the entire time, even with the game delay. The next game will be Friday October 13 against the Damascus Hornets at Damascus. 

print