Sports Wrap-Up 9/9 – 9/12

Sarah Elbeshbishi

Cheerleaders on the sidelines at the football opener on September 1.

‘Rines cross country, volleyball, and girls soccer teams all saw action throughout the beginning of this week. All teams played their hearts out and no matter what the result, look to make improvements fro their future games.

Varsity volleyball fell short to Paint Branch High School Monday, September 11. They look to come back strong with a win Thursday at home against Seneca Valley High School.

Even though varsity volleyball lost to Paint Branch 3-2, they played well compared to the other games this season. Senior Taylor Gonder wasn’t pleased with the outcome but she thought the team performed well, and believes they will come out strong Thursday.

The team is still working on improvements. “We need to work on being an actual team. We don’t communicate enough and we don’t work well as a team. We’ve played together for so long even before High School but we don’t work good as a team sometimes,” Gonder said.

Watkins Mill boys cross country participated in the 2017 Maryland Track & Trail Cross Country Challenge on Saturday, September 9 against nine other schools. Despite their best efforts, the ‘Rines couldn’t come away with a victory, finishing last place in the meet. Junior Zachary Pepperl had an amazing performance finishing 23rd out of the 89 participants and was awarded for his performance by earning a medal.

Junior Leandro Mendez said, “It was a great and wonderful experience since it was my first ever meet, and we hope to improve as a team as the season goes on.”

The ‘Rines conquered the Northwood Gladiators in an exciting 8-2 win. Junior Jennifer Lopez scored a hat-trick for the team, causing the excitement to skyrocket in the stadium. Senior Heaven Atta praised the team for communicating on and off the field and “making efficient passes”. The ‘Rines hope to defeat the Clarksburg Coyotes in today’s game.

Besides girls soccer, ‘Rines field hockey plays at Montgomery Blair High School today at 3:45 and boys soccer takes on Clarksburg High School at home at 7:15. Come out and support as both teams look to pick up their first win of this young fall season.