Robotics club repeats recent success

Fiifi Cann and Jamil Malik

Looking for a place to build cool robots or competing against other schools? Then the Robotics Club is the place for you.

“[Students learn] teamwork, leadership skills, students get to learn some mechanical engineering from building the robots,” said engineering teacher Andre Braxton. Each year they have a game that is played and you design your robot to play the game and there are points awarded, from there they see who gets the most points to win.

Students get to compete with other schools. They have two qualifying meets where they meet in D.C. and the Montgomery County and compete with other schools. They compete with their robots to see who can score the best and who can accomplish the task the best.

The robotics club has been successful in the past. They have gone to the district championship four times and the state championship five times. Just last year, they made it all the way to the district championship. The club has won many awards, one in particular was the most innovative award for accomplishing tasks using different methods.

If students win a championship, they get a trophy and then move on to the next championship. If they win the State Championship, they go to the Super Regional Championship in Pittsburgh, PA. If they even win that, then they go all the way to the World Championship in St. Louis, MO.

The robotics club had the same task as other schools, but most of the time they were under budget.“We never had enough parts or funding and we have been using the same parts for the past six years and we compete against teams that get new kits every year and we still beat them,” said senior Jason Herrera.

The robotics club takes place every year during the fall, on Mondays and Wednesdays in room B-001.  If you are interested, come out to the interest meeting this month. The robotics club is about getting a task and creating a robot to do the given task. Students will learn to program because they will have to program the robot themselves.