New athletics website allows coaches to update stats immediately

Mikaela Cajigal and Keegan Dant

Coaches at Watkins Mill High School can now easily update scores, rosters and key plays to the new WMHS athletics website at watkinsmillathletics.com with the Pressbox app, making all game information available to everyone in the community.

Athletic director Reggie Spears said that the website “came about because of the old website and the fee that was associated with it. There was a yearly maintenance fee, and [the new site] worked out to be a better deal. There was just a one-time subscription as opposed to paying an annual subscription, plus there is revenue that the school could receive for people advertising on the website.”

Girl’s junior varsity volleyball coach Kauri Martin said, “It looks better and is easier to navigate through.”

The new website also works better because it is social media friendly. People can subscribe to the websites to get notifications when new stats are uploaded. They can also download an app to give them direct notifications. Coaches can update game scores and student rosters directly from their phones on the Pressbox app, making it more efficient.

The new website also gives more exposure to every team. Football coach Jamaly Allen said, “It helps generate school spirit because if the students are more aware of what’s going on, they will most likely want to be more involved and eventually will want to participate in a sport because of what they see.”

Varsity soccer coach Kenneth Heckert said the website “is very friendly for all users and puts things on social media for the community.”

Each sport is given its own individual photo gallery, which gives the athletes more exposure and opportunity. When a new gallery is uploaded, a tweet and an email are automatically sent to those subscribed, notifying them that a new gallery has been created.

The new website sends alerts if a game has been canceled or postponed, along with its changed time. The website also shows the highlights of each game and a brief recap of scores. Football coach Kevin Watson agrees with Allen that the website is more accessible to the coaches and students and professionals.