Art students display talents in annual show

Suriya Sundaramurthi

Entries in the 2016 Watkins Mill High School art show

Students from Watkins Mill High School art classes participated in the annual art show last week, which featured many different styles of work from all of the different types of visual and graphic art classes offered at the school.

On May 27, students had their artwork formally judged for the first time this year. “This year we have judges that are students and staff and parents,” art teacher Limor Dekel said. The judges consisted of people who are interested in the art program but are not directly involved in it.

Many students and parents came together to enjoy the artwork made by students in classes such as photography, 3D art, digital art, drawing and painting.

“The art show itself [was]… divided up,” photography teacher James Wu said. The most spectacular aspect to view was the large amount of diversity between artworks that fit so well together.

“Just getting a glimpse of some of the creativity stashed in each student was great,” sophomore Alexander Harlow said.

Many students and parents arrived in high spirits, and left impressed. They saw art ranging from the fear of religious persecution to the topic of equality. “All the different categories were really interesting, and it was really cool to see how different people did different things with their art work,” sophomore art show participant Exlee Dawson said.

The clear amount of variety between all the artwork made it difficult to choose which one resonated with the viewer the most, but regardless, it is apparent how much hard work was put into each and every piece. “It was a great way to showcase students talents and show that Watkins Mill is doing something positive,” sophomore art show participant Vijay Vanathayan said.

But the students aren’t the only ones who deserve appreciation for the achievements in the art show.  The teachers of the Mill put in a lot of effort this year to make sure that this annual art show would be amazing. They have done so much for every student by helping them express their creativity on the paper and show them what the word “art” really means.

Art is not just a word, it’s an image, a dream, it is what makes our thoughts and ambitions visible to the rest of the world. “I believe, personally, that art is a form of self-expression,” Harlow said. “An artist can create art from any topic, anything, and a piece of themselves will be in it. In a sense, it reveals something about the artist.” 

“There is a lot of stuff I am really happy with, so I think it [was] a good show either way,” Wu added. “It’s always nice to show some of the successes the students have [had]  throughout the year.”