Senior named semi-finalist in forensics competition

Senior Billie Bioku who was a semi-finalist in a forensics competition

Dalanda Diallo

Mikaela Cajigal and Dalanda Diallo

Your palms are sweaty. You feel like there are colonies of butterflies fluttering about in your stomach. You feel your heart start to race as you slowly look up with dread from your paper to see your teacher staring at you, waiting for you to start your presentation.

This is when you realize you should have taken Theory of Knowledge with social studies teacher William Funk.  TOK  challenges students to think more critically and to learn how to defend their arguments.  In it,  students discuss how they know any of the things they believe that they know.

What started out as an IB CAS project in TOK for senior Billie Bioku became an interest she ended up loving: forensics. The senior who aspires to be a lawyer after college expressed her enjoyment for the activity.

“The goal of forensics is to help with public speech,” Bioku said.  Bioku said the TOK class requirements helped her build strength in presenting.

“I don’t know what [Bioku] will be doing in ten years, but I suspect she will be successful. She is a very hard worker,” Funk said. “Anyone who is involved in forensics improves their public speaking skills and becomes a better communicator.”

“If you need help with public speech and you’re scared about talking in front of the class then forensics is definitely for you,” Bioku said. “If you like the idea of acting but you don’t really want to join theatre then forensics will also be a good idea.”

In forensics, Bioku takes an author’s creation and makes it into her own using various gestures, emotions, and changing her tone of voice. Bioku qualified for both the drama and humor categories. She was a semi-finalist in the National Forensics League competition at Blake High School where approximately 100 students from around the county competed.

Forensics meets on Wednesdays during STEP, and students who feel that they need extra work can visit with Funk before and after school or whenever they are available.

“Forensics helps with building communication skills and confidence. Almost everybody who has tried forensics has a good time at the competition,” Funk added. “Many times, kids don’t come close to winning awards but they build their confidence. After performing a reading in front of strangers, presenting in a classroom become easier.”

Joining forensics was “a life changing experience. I used to be the shy girl, the one that used to never want to present in class,” Bioku said.

“Now I know that when I get in front of the judge, I won’t be scared of anything,” Bioku added.