Great deals lure Black Friday shoppers; crowds keep some waiting until Cyber Monday

Hezekiah Likekele and Briana Pasion

You’re going shopping and you hear a stampede of rhinoceros. You run from the rhinos, only to end up in your favorite store seeing two ladies fighting over seven for $27 panties at Victoria’s Secret.

This is Black Friday!

Some wrongly think “Black Friday” comes from myths that slaves were cheaper for help during the holiday season. Although there are many theories, the main reason was that businesses suffered financial losses for most of the year until holiday season.  Black Friday is the beginning of the period when retailers would no longer have losses (red) and instead take in the year’s profits (the black) due to holiday shopping.

“I don’t like crowds, I don’t like people pushing me, I don’t like rude and obnoxious adults trying to get the same item for the same thing,” English substitute teacher Theresa Phillips said. For most people, that is the best reason to avoid Black Friday shopping. So Phillips will “stay home and relax on [her] Black Friday and [will] do Cyber Monday.”

Many of WMHS’ well-dressed students mainly plan on shopping for clothes like freshman Camille Nazzal, who plans to look for deals at Forever21, American Apparel and Nordstrom at Montgomery Mall. Junior Edwin Quintanilla plans to go to Macy’s and H&M. Sophomore Alexander LaBeach, is going to try to get his hands on some Jordans being released that day.

You can also get good deals from technology because “technology is usually cheaper,” sophomore Sabrina Santamaria said. Spanish teacher Magdalena Yanes plans to take advantage of this and is on the lookout for laptops, cell phones and a television for her son. Biology teacher Lydia Leecost does not like the chaos of Black Friday but will risk it to check out Best Buy.

Everyone talks about the chaos and crowds they see and experience on Black Fridays, but not junior Steven Yanes Barrera. Yanes Barrera plans to go to Best Buy, one of the busiest stores that day, to buy an Xbox. He isn’t worried about the crowds though.  “I’m going to walk through the doors,” Yanes Barrera said.