Brown brings care to Watkins Mill office

Aisha Sowe

“Watkins Mill High School, how may I help you?”

Have you ever noticed a friendly face looking out of the window in the back of the main office? If not, peep through that window and you will see one of the kindest people at the Mill.

Administrative secretary Susan Brown has been working at Watkins Mill for nine years and it has been a wonderful experience for her. She has enjoyed working here for so long because of the love she has for the students and staff members.

“[Watkins Mill] is part [of my own] family to me,” Brown said. Before Brown became a secretary, she graduated from Damascus High School and was a stay-at-home mom for ten years. Watkins Mill is the first job she has had as a secretary. She decided to go to the school system so she could have the same school calendar as her kids and spend time with them.

One of the staff members that she admires at Watkins Mill is principal Carol Goddard. Brown admires her leadership and that she is an amazing person to work with. “She is always very pleasant and she addresses things right away,” Brown added.

Goddard’s favorite part about working with Brown is her attitude, smile, and demeanor. “She’s just been excellent,” said Godard. “[She is] very supportive,” Goddard added. When Goddard was new to the school, Brown would meet with Goddard every day and talk about what the day would be like. She would also try to answer any questions Goddard may have.

Senior Marina Garcia has been working as a student aide for two years and has a very special experience working with Brown. Garcia says that Brown is one of her favorite staff members at Watkins Mill. “I helped during the summer, so she was available all the time,” Garcia said .

Outside of working in the office, Brown has three kids who are 18, 21, and 22 years old, all currently attending college, along with two dogs, a parrot, and a rabbit. Her favorite hobbies are cooking and hanging out with her kids. 

If you see Brown, be sure to say “hello,” you will get a smile back.