Madness rocks Mill for winter sports rally

Jonathan trejo

Senior Kendale Sewell gets ready to rock the rim.

Gabriel Leonard

We’ve got spirit yes we do! We’ve got spirit how ‘bout you?

The second round of Mill Madness took place on Tuesday night in the main gym at Watkins Mill. Winter sports teams introduced themselves to the school as students participated in many fun games and challenges.

The boys and girls basketball teams introduced themselves to the school as they prepare for the 2016-2017 season. They started off with layup lines that later led to spectacular dunks by senior Kendale Sewell, freshman Seth McCarly,  and juniors TJ Williams, and Markel Grant.

“Mill Madness turned out pretty good, I enjoyed it,” Grant said. Grant’s favorite part was the dunk contest and layup lines with the girls varsity team. “We should have another one for spring sports because they all turn out [so well],” Grant added.

Boys varsity coach Corey Robinson and girls varsity coach Donita Adams both encouraged Orange Nation to come out and support the teams. Robinson said both teams will “put on a show” this season.

Indoor track, swim and dive, poms, wrestling, and bocce were all represented well and introduced at half court. Cheer amazed the students with a high-flying performance led by junior captains Fatoumata Drammeh and Brianna Knight. Drammeh said, “I thought it was a lot of fun and I want to thank [science teacher Matthew] Johnson for working hard to put it all together for us.”

Students participated in many joy filled games that made everyone laugh. These games included a half-court shot contest, obstacle courses, filling a pitcher with soap water, pie to the face, and a basketball shooting contest. Full spirit was on full display throughout all of these activities led by Johnson.

“I really loved that we were able to represent all the winter athletes and not just one,” Johnson said. Johnson is looking forward to having a spring edition of Mill Madness as well to represent the spring sports at Watkins Mill.

Overall, Mill Madness was a huge success. Students brought their spirit as they gathered around to watch and partake in fun activities. Johnson also mentioned making new t-shirts so the student body can “come together” for the winter season.

Don’t let up on the school spirit yet ‘Rines, a great winter season of sports and activities is coming your way. Go ‘Rines!