First ‘Watkins Willow Coffee House’ to be held tonight in courtyard

Watkins Mill High School

Watkins Willow Coffee House flyer

Lenox Karmara

Calling artsy-fartsy people of Watkins Mill!

The forces of the arts have come together to have the first “Watkins Willow Coffee House” tonight from 6-9pm.

Senior Kush Kharod, an active band member, is excited for this new event. “I know the theater department has been planning this for a while…[so] it’s cool that it’s finally happening.”

The event will be held outdoors in the courtyard, giving the coffee house a fall feel. “It’s also cool because it’s in the courtyard…[people] don’t usually use the courtyard, but it’s very spacious,” junior Tamara White said.

“[I’m attending] because it’s a great outlet to share the art form that I love. Its an opportunity to not bottle it up.” Israel said

The Watkins Willow Coffee House wouldn’t be possible without the leaders of the arts. From everyone’s’ favorite photography teacher, to the the masters of the T hallway, they make it happen make it all happen.

Chorus teacher Rodney Long gave good reasoning for the upcoming event. “[This event is] to raise money for the underrated arts in the school,” Long said. “[This is] a chill environment [for students to express themselves.]”

The Watkins Willow Coffee House isn’t just for students currently in art club or classes. Senior Esther Israel will attend with a hidden passion, poetry. “[I’m attending] because it’s a great outlet to share the art form that I love. Its an opportunity to not bottle it up,” Israel said.

National Art Honors Society is also starting strong this year by displaying a variety of artwork fitting the fall theme. Senior president of the NAHS Harrison Deist used this opportunity to debut this year’s NAHS skill.

“This is the perfect way to start the year for the club,” Deist said. The NAHS meets every Wednesday ready to create art.  “I know a lot of the members are excited to display their art and even make some money,” Deist added.

Members of Orange Nation have also been promoting the event. Senior Brandon Rodriguez and science teacher Matthew Johnson did not forget about the outstanding coffee mill ran by Watkins Mills LFI students. Coffee will be served by the students, giving them a chance to have some fun too.

Bring your money, a date, a blanket and your passion for the arts. The forecast may be brisk but the coffee will be steamy.