New student orientation kicks off the 2019-2020 school year

Back to Article
Back to Article

Assistant Principal Eric Jackson introduces himself to a group of new students.

Jade Pinkowitz

Jade Pinkowitz

Jade Pinkowitz

Jade Pinkowitz, Editor in Chief

New student orientation was held on Thursday, August 28 for incoming Watkins Mill High School students.

The orientation consisted of a small presentation headed by Orange Nation sponsor and social studies Maxwell Bero. The presentation included information about the upcoming year, school policies, and also performances from the poms, cheerleaders, and the marching band.

Students then travelled to different stations around the school, led by student guides, to visit departments and tour the building.

Orientation was closed out with an extracurricular activity fair, giving new students the option to learn about and sign up for the many clubs Watkins Mill has to offer.

• Juniors Kyle Wingate and Kevin Mensa pose before the Extracurricular Activities Fair.

• Junior Ryan Pranger practices with his flag for marching band before the Extracurricular Activities Fair.

• Freshman class administrator Eric Jackson poses with a new student.

• Senior class administrator Rhoshanda Pyles poses with students at freshman orientation.

• Freshman administrator Eric Jackson talks to incoming freshmen.

• Watkins Mill alumni and Wellness Center staff member Clarence McNeary talks to incoming freshmen about the Wellness Center.

• New students meet a foreign language teacher during orientation.

• New students collaborate and meet each other in an activity at orientation.

• Assistant principals Eric Jackson and Ryan Graves speak to incoming students.

• Security officers Camonte Lee and Aron Dorsey introduce themselves to new students.

• Watkins Mill alumni and Wellness Center staff member Clarence McNeary poses with his old neighbor, sophomore Joshua Burgos.

• Watkins Mill alumni and Wellness Center staff member Clarence McNeary points out the features of the Wellness Center.

• Foreign Language teacher Gustavo Alonso-Moreno speaks to a new student in an introductory activity.

• American Sign Language teacher Amy Crumrine speaks to a freshman through an ASL interpreter.

• Freshmen prepare to do an activity to meet the teachers at new student orientation.

• New students listen to the foreign language teachers during orientation.

• New students learn how to say "good morning" in ASL while meeting the foreign language teachers.

• Senior Victor Kum and junior Samson Asmamaw take a break from helping new students to pose.

• Social Studies teacher William Funk is excited to greet all the new students at orientation.

• Assistant Principal Eric Jackson introduces himself to a group of new students.

• Junior Bonsu Tutu and senior Brittany Issacof help introduce new students to the school.

• Freshmen play corn hole in an introduction to physical education classes.

• Freshmen try to solve a quick math problem that the math teachers set up for orientation.

• A new student explains her solution to a quick math problem that the math teachers set up for orientation.

• The counseling department introduces themselves to a group of new students.

• The Watkins Mill cheer team hypes up the new students.

• The cheerleaders and band hype up incoming students with cool tricks and performances.

• Freshman Ciara Johnson joins her fellow cheerleaders in welcoming students.

• The marching band and drumline perform for the new students.

• Orange Nation coordinator Maxwell Bero greets the new students and talks about the school's policies.