Prom promises glitz, glamour in A-List Affair

Back to Article
Back to Article

Watkins Mill's annual prom will take place Saturday night at the Silver Spring Fillmore with the theme,

Watkins Mill's annual prom will take place Saturday night at the Silver Spring Fillmore with the theme, "An A-List Affair."

Lauren Flandrau

Lauren Flandrau

Lauren Flandrau

Lauren Flandrau and Taylor Dawson

Watkins Mill will be holding its annual junior/senior Prom on Saturday, May 11 at the Fillmore in Silver Spring. The event will begin at 8pm, and this year’s theme is “An A-list Affair.” 

Today is the last day to purchase prom tickets. Tickets are on sale for $75, sold by social studies teacher Max Bero in room C100. The junior class prom committee has been planning prom for a couple months now, preparing it to be the best one yet.

Junior prom planner Taylor Leonard said, “There is no food provided at this year’s prom because there are three bars that will contain mocktail drinks.” Peach sangrias, mojitos and strawberry raspberry fizzers are just a few refreshments of the night.

Senior Emily Reid has attended proms before, but this year will be her first Watkins Mill prom. “I’m looking forward to having our last get together as a class and the people I’ve grown up with,” Reid said. “Overall I think prom is going to be a great night and I can’t wait.” 

Pictures are always a favorite part of the night. Instagram and Twitter have been flooded with prom pictures for the past two weeks, but it won’t stop until the WMHS prom is over. “I’m looking forward to taking cute pictures, having a nice dinner with my friends and seeing everyone have a good time in general,” junior Nadia Makmak said.

“I hope to see everyone having fun and letting loose because we all know how stressful these exams are,” Makmak added. Makmak has high hopes that the new venue the prom will be much more modernized and will attract many more people than before.

Senior Alexandra Aucoin attended last year’s prom along with being a part of last year’s prom committee. “I’m looking forward to hanging out with my friends throughout the night and just seeing everyone all dressed up,” Aucoin said. “I am hoping that the music will be better this year than the past few years.” 

This will definitely be a night to remember. Don’t forget to be safe and have a great time. And to the Fillmore… we’re coming for you.

About the Contributors
Lauren Flandrau, Sports Editor

Lauren Flandrau is a senior at Watkins Mill High School and is a sports writer for The Current. Flandrau has been swimming on the Varsity Swim Team since...

Taylor Dawson, Features Editor and Social Media Director

Taylor Dawson is a senior at Watkins Mill High School and is one of the two Social Media Directors and a Features Editor For The Current. Taylor loves...

1 Comment

One Response to “Prom promises glitz, glamour in A-List Affair”

1. Jan Guttman on May 8th, 2019 3:17 pm

An added event for Watkins Mill LGBTQ and allies is the MoCo Pride Prom which is happening May 11 (Saturday night) at the Norbeck Country Club. $20 covers food, drink, swag bag, free professional photographer on site, and of course a fantastic DJ.https://www.eventbrite.com/e/2019-moco-pride-prom-tickets-58686075632