‘Rines rampage over Rockville in Homecoming victory

Watkins Mill defeated the Rockville Rams in the Homecoming game on Saturday, September 29 with a final score of 42-7.

Jade Pinkowitz

Jade Pinkowitz

Arthur Siqueira and Israel Safo

Wolverine varsity football rampaged over the Rockville Rams during the Homecoming game with a score of 42-7 at Gaithersburg High School on Saturday, September 29.

The game was initially scheduled to take place on Friday night, September 29, but was rescheduled at Gaithersburg High School due to heavy rain in the days leading up to the game; the field had become bogged down and could not be played on.

The Rams scored the opening touchdown but were completely shut out the rest of the game. The ‘Rines then scored a touchdown making the game an exciting 6-7.

Coach Maxwell Bero said, “I think that even though we had a rocky start, we were able to get our heads back in the game.” The ‘Rines had an unfortunate beginning, giving up the first touchdown and missing a few extra attempts. However, the ‘Rines still managed to recover and score multiple touchdowns. 

The offense continued to put out points during the game. There were highlight plays from senior running back Anthony Rush and other players, who took down a defensive Rockville player. Senior Lucas Elenga also had an outstanding game, passing for multiple touchdowns.

Elenga was pleased with the team’s performance. “I think we played really well and executed plays on both sides of the field,” he said. Both defensive and offensive players had a standout game, contributing to the 35-point difference. 

Come support the ‘Rines at the next game at Winters Mill High school Friday October 5 at 7 pm!

About the Writer
Israel Safo, Sports Editor

Israel Safo is a junior at Watkins Mill High School and a Sports Editor for The Current. He likes to write, explore new ideas, and listen to music. He would like to go to an Ivy League school and become a very wealthy entrepreneur/lawyer when he grows up. He is on the road to being the first African American multi-trillionaire.

1 Comment

One Response to “‘Rines rampage over Rockville in Homecoming victory”

1. William Gangnath on October 1st, 2018 9:16 pm

Now this is epic