Football defeats Seneca Valley for first time in school’s history

Demetrius Rush battles with a Seneca Valley player on the field

Jade Pinkowitz

Jade Pinkowitz

Arthur Siqueira and Israel Safo

Wolverine football defeated Seneca Valley High School on Friday, September 21 with a decisive 32-12 victory. In this historic game, the Wolverines beat the Screamin’ Eagles for the first time since the school opened in 1989.

Senior Lucas Elenga said this team will “never back down.” Elenga had a phenomenal game passing 163 yards and rushing 56.

Elenga scored the opening one-yard rushing touchdown in the second quarter and junior David Okoli scored a 44-yard receiving touchdown to bring the score to 14-0, followed by an eight-yard rushing touchdown from Elenga. After that, junior Demetrius Rush scored a touchdown third quarter, 46-yard touchdown reception and a fourth quarter 21-yard reception touchdown, adding to the score and making it 32-12.

“I feel like the team played great,” senior Luis Chavez said. “There is always room for improvement but we’re working hard.”

“We just executed our game plan,” coach Maxwell Bero said. “The stats weren’t crazy, but we did what we had to do in all phases of the game.”

Senior Anthony Rush, who lead the ‘Rines in rushing yards with 85 yards, said, “I think we were the better team, the focus in our practices is something we [didn’t] have last year. The defense stepped up to a higher level than before and everyone was on the same page.”

Demetrius Rush led the ‘Rines in receiving yards, receptions and touchdowns with four receptions for 82 yards and two touchdowns.

“I feel like I had a pretty good game, but I could’ve played better,” Demetrius Rush added. “The team stepped up, especially the [offensive] line. The [defensive] line also came in big.”

Come join the ‘Rines against Rockville High School this Friday September 28 at 6:30 pm for the Homecoming game. Go ‘Rines!

Kicker Brady Allen gets ready to score a field goal

About the Contributors
Israel Safo, Sports Editor

Israel Safo is a junior at Watkins Mill High School and a Sports Editor for The Current. He likes to write, explore new ideas, and listen to music. He would like to go to an Ivy League school and become a very wealthy entrepreneur/lawyer when he grows up. He is on the road to being the first African American multi-trillionaire.

Jade Pinkowitz, Photography Director

Jade Pinkowitz is a Junior this year at Watkins Mill and is the Photography Director as well as an Opinion Editor for The Current. Jade has played volleyball for her entire life and is co-captain of the varsity girls volleyball team. She is interested in attending Northwestern University as a psychology major and then continuing to be a child and family social worker. She loves photography and is so excited to photograph upcoming Watkins Mill High School events.