Watkins Mill welcomes new Orange Nation sponsor

History+teacher+Max+Bero+shows+off+his+Orange+Nation+pride+as+the+new+sponsor+
Back to Article
Back to Article

History teacher Max Bero shows off his Orange Nation pride as the new sponsor

Jade Pinkowitz

Jade Pinkowitz

Jade Pinkowitz

Mariam Bukhari

Science teacher Matt Johnson may be history, but history teacher Max Bero has taken over as Orange Nation sponsor. The previous sponsor, Johnson, took another position at central office.

In past years, Orange Nation has been in charge of planning school spirit related activities. Bero now aims to involve more students in boosting school spirit and creating a safe and productive environment at school.

“While Orange Nation in the past was very influential around the school and had a lot of good events throughout the year, it kind of dropped,” Bero said. “I’m excited to maintain the spirit and energy throughout the entire year.” Bero is also a football coach, lacrosse coach and the Class of 2020 sponsor.

“I expect him to bring fun and energy to the school, involvement from students as much as possible,” football coach Steven Schaired said.

In addition to improving annual events like Mill Madness, Orange Nation will also be hosting new events before basketball games in an attempt to keep the energy alive year-round.

“We are still debating how to make [certain events] fit into the new [plan]. We like [Mill Madness]. We want to keep it,” Bero added. “But we might have to go through some changes about what it’s going to look like.”

Students should look forward to many more tailgates in the parking lot before football, soccer and lacrosse games. “Bero is really doing a lot to fulfill [the role of Orange Nation sponsor],” senior Alexandra Aucoin said. “He’s really bringing the school together as a whole.”

“He’s passionate about school spirit and I think he’s a great fit for the job,” head football coach Michael Brown said.

Bero’s vision for Orange Nation also extends beyond athletic events. Students can expect a safe space to have fun after school or before events, “That’s my goal, to make Watkins Mill somewhere they can hang out,” Bero added. 

Bero encourages students to share their voices. “It’s their ideas,” Bero said. “I just hope to execute them.”

To get involved, see Bero in B116, the Social Studies office.