Seniors set to strut their stuff in annual Mr. Watkins Mill competition

The+Mr.+Watkins+Mill+contestants.++Mr.+Watkins+Mill+will+take+place+Tuesday%2C+May+1.+
The Mr. Watkins Mill contestants.  Mr. Watkins Mill will take place Tuesday, May 1.

The Mr. Watkins Mill contestants. Mr. Watkins Mill will take place Tuesday, May 1.

Sarah Elbeshbishi

Sarah Elbeshbishi

Cameron Moore

The annual Mr. Watkins Mill event is coming up Tuesday, May 1 at 7 pm in the auditorium. Doors will be open at 6:30 pm, so show up early.

Tickets will be on sale Monday and Tuesday for $5 in the mixing bowl at STEP. The theme will be “Throwing it back to 1989,” which is the year the school first opened. Decorations and neon colors will fill the auditorium to fit the theme.

This year’s senior contestants are Vijay Vanathayan, Ajay Branch, Alex Wright, Selom Kalin, Salekri Sayeh, Michael Smith, Victor Iglesias, Muhammad Ba and Hezekiah Likekele.

The contestants and escorts have been working hard in preparation for the show. Seniors Eudel Ndong and Tracey Ackah have been working with the group to choreograph the dances. “I feel good about the dances especially since I had help from [Ndong and] I think the show will be really good,” Ackah said.

The event will be hosted by seniors Sarah Elbeshbishi and Natalie Rodriguez. “I am super excited to be a part of something that’s going to be so successful. I’m really proud of what we’ve got,” Rodriguez said.

Other members of Students Against Destructive Decisions are part of the planning crew and are helping out with the event behind the scenes with setup and lighting. There will also be an under-the-influence skit presented by SADD to show the audience how important it is to be smart and safe about decisions they make.

The night will start off with the introduction of the contestants with their escorts, which will lead into a group dance. Then the contestants will go into the swimwear portion, where they will show off their best swim look. “I am most excited for the Speedo part because I’ve been trying to get my body nice for this day,” Ba said.

Following swimwear, there will be a talent portion where each of the guys can show off their creativity from cooking to dancing to just looking cute.

Next, there will be questions and answers to win over the judges. The six judges for the night will be journalism teacher Sara Confino, social studies teachers Maxwell Bero, Sandy Young, Thomas Sneddon, Moco Snow and Moco Show creator Alex Tsironis, and police sergeant Carlo Corovoiser.

The winner of the competition decided by the judges will bring home the title of Mr. Watkins Mill and have the choice to decide where to donate the money raised from the event.

So who will win? Several contestants think the favorite is Vanathayan. “My biggest competition would be Vijay,” Wright said. “He is really smart, very mature, and very talented.”

Come out to support and see who wins!