Electives fair introduces new classes, options for students

Map+of+the+tables+for+the+electives+fair+on+November+22.++

Edward Graf

Map of the tables for the electives fair on November 22.

Jessica Cruz

Students will get the chance to explore the different electives Watkins Mill offers on Wednesday, November 22. Students in grades 9-11 will attend during their English classes.

The electives fair is an event where students get to explore some of the electives such as cooking, child development and newspaper. There will be student representatives from each elective who will share their experiences and insights about a particular class. Teachers from the different electives chose particular students to spend the day talking about their programs.

“I think it’s really cool, said Senior Vijay Vanathayan. “I think it’s a great way to get people involved in different things and help them figure out what they’re passionate about [and] what they like to do. Vanathanyan will be talking to students about the medicine program offered at the school.

Students will get the chance to ask questions and see work of previous and current students in the courses. Students were asked to decide on three courses they will like to learn more about. The fair will take place all day and will be held in the small auxiliary gym. Students will have a period of 30 minutes to go and explore the electives.

The cooking class will have a cooking demonstration and food tasting. They hope to get back feedback from potential students interest in cooking. “Overall I think it’ll be pretty fun [to] see what everyone’s opinion is on the food,” said senior Camille Allie.

The electives fair was last run about three years ago. Academy of Finance teacher Sandy Chaplin and assistant principal Rhoshanda Pyles along with other teachers helped to have the fair make a return this school year.

“I think it’s a good way to get students out there and pick electives that they will do to help them in their life, said Senior Roberta Ewane. She will be one of the students speaking on behalf of the creative writing classes.

To learn more about the different types of electives you can take, make sure you are present on Wednesday to attend the fair.