Child Development celebrates preschoolers success with graduation

Preschoolers+wearing+their+graduation+caps+during+their+ceremony.+

Carol Goddard

Preschoolers wearing their graduation caps during their ceremony.

Lucas Richards and Jessica Cruz

12 preschoolers graduated at the preschool graduation on May 18. The ceremony marks the passage of a developmental period for the preschoolers as they head off to kindergarten.

the preschoolers spent the past couple of weeks talking about the graduation. They came dressed up in graduation caps. The Child Development high school students were excited to see the kids graduate. “I think the [preschoolers] were having fun,” said Child Development teacher Melissa Cloyd. “They have been practicing their song and knew they would get cupcakes in the end.”

The preschoolers walked in singing “Pomp and Circumstance.” Sophomore Desiona Tillman and juniors Karyn Chambers and Katherine Campbell gave speeches about the students and their journeys. A student sang “Lean on Me” as the preschoolers were awarded their diplomas. Dr. Seuss themed refreshments were served at the end of the ceremony, making the graduation lasted about an hour.

“[The ceremony] was very nice,” said Tillman. “I felt like the parents had a lot of fun.” Many parents and grandparents spoke with both Cloyd and the Child Development high school students about how they enjoyed the ceremony. Everyone took lots of pictures and next year Cloyd plans to get an entire graduation outfit for the students.

This was Cloyd’s first year teaching Child Development and hopes to improve the program throughout the years.  Cloyd plans to continue to be the teacher because she enjoys teaching kids in a fun environment.

With the preschoolers graduated, Child Development students are helping Cloyd organize and clean to prepare for next years students. Most of the kids who graduated are going to all different elementary schools around Montgomery County. Some of the kids aren’t old enough to go to kindergarten but even though they still graduated and got their diploma, they will be back for the next school year.