Artwork from WMHS students is put out on display, shows off hard work and artistic talent

Anna Liu

Ceramics II projects on display

Anna Liu

Artwork from Watkins Mill High School students were on display at the art show on Thursday, May 11 in the media center for students to show off their skills and hard work.

The art show is an event where art teachers select the students best artwork of the year to be displayed for others to see. Viewers are also offered refreshments as they walked around. The works include paintings, drawings, ceramics, and photography. “We pick the artwork we think is a good representation of the assignments,” Studio Art teacher Limor Dekel said.

With the numerous art courses offered at Watkins Mill such as ceramics to digital art and everything in between, students did not fail to surpass the art shows of previous years with new and unique art. “The art show…[had a] large collection of artwork and variety of artwork,” sophomore Alena Tarakanova said. “[So] there was a lot of things you could look at and appreciate.”

This annual event is open to the public, parents, students, and teachers attend the show. The art show is not only an opportunity for parents to see their child’s work, but an opportunity for the students to sell their work. “It’s nice to see more people attending this year,” Dekel added.

Students work on their projects throughout the year; each utilizing art techniques such as texture and color. Students incorporate their own style into the artwork and technique. “It’s wonderful to see how students represent themselves,” ceramics teacher Susan Mapp said.

Art “is relaxing. [art] expresses [my] individuality and creativity,” junior Aleena Natividad said. “I was excited…and happy [the teachers] chose my art.” Natividad’s work was even purchased by an art show attendee.

While students do follow directions and requirements given to them for an assignment, it is the unique creativity of a piece that captures the attention of others. “There’s always at least one student that surprises me,” photography teacher James Wu said.

Students in the art show also have an opportunity for their artwork to be judged. Junior Alice Ton has several drawings and paintings featured in the art show, one of which earned first place. “I put a lot of effort in and I’m proud of my artwork,” Ton said. “It’s motivation for me to keep working hard.”

Montgomery County Public Schools each have their own art shows that have been occurring for over 20 years. Last year, MCPS participated in an all-county art show at Lakeforest Mall. This year’s all-county art show is going to take place at the beginning of June.