MCPS Superintendent visits the Mill, learns about College Tracks

Sarah Elbeshbishi

Dr. Jack R. Smith meeting with CollegeTracks co-founder Nancy Leopold.

Sarah Elbeshbishi

Dr. Jack R. Smith, Montgomery County Public School’s superintendent, came to Watkins Mill High School on March 16 to visit and learn more about CollegeTracks.

Smith came by to see the program in actions, allowing him to speak and watch the staff, students, and volunteers. CollegeTracks, a college access and success program, helps junior and senior students with college-related opportunities and applications.    

Students in CollegeTracks working on college forms, while Superintendent Jack Smith learns more about the program in the background.

“[Smith] came by to learn more about the CollegeTracks program and specifically how we’ve been able to collaborate in such a great community,” CollegeTracks coordinator Lindsey Barclay said. “It is very obvious that he cares about students and their futures, so I think it’s important that he comes and…sees what students are doing, and some of the things they have to face.”

During his visit, Smith was able to see how many students used their lunch period to get help from the staff. He was also able to see how much students benefit from the CollegeTracks program. Watkins Mill is only the third school CollegeTracks is available at, the other two are Wheaton and Bethesda Chevy Chase high schools. 

“CollegeTracks is changing lives at Watkins Mill, Wheaton, and Bethesda-Chevy Chase high schools,” CollegeTracks co-founder Nancy Leopold said. “He saw the critical role CollegeTracks plays in helping students get to and through higher education to productive futures. And he knows many more MCPS students could benefit from a college access program.”

Student getting help from CollegeTracks coordinator Lindsey Barclay, while Superintendent Jack Smith discusses the advantages of the program.

His visit allowed him to see how well the program was able to aide and prepare students and staff in the community. “I think it’s incredible resource and..it’s important that he sees how people at this school are able to get support from people in the community and…it’s not just one person helping each student, it’s a whole bunch of people,” Barclay added.

While he was learning about the program Smith saw 25 students getting help and working on college forms at various times during lunch. “He saw the critical role CollegeTracks plays in helping students get to and through higher education to productive futures. And he knows many more MCPS students could benefit from a college access program,” Leopold said.