The student news site of Watkins Mill High School

History teacher, football coach Bero takes on boys lacrosse job

Coach+Maxwell+Bero+looks+forward+to+a+great+lacrosse+season+this+spring.+
Coach Maxwell Bero looks forward to a great lacrosse season this spring.

Destiny Tiburcio

Destiny Tiburcio

Destiny Tiburcio

History teacher and football coach Maxwell Bero takes on a new challenge as he becomes the new boy’s varsity lacrosse coach this upcoming season.

This is Bero’s first year teaching at Watkins Mill, and he expects great things from our boys this spring season. “With the amount of talent we have, I’d like to see a bare minimum of a .500 record… [and] I’d like to see us get two playoff wins. It would be fantastic,” Bero said.

Bero also helped out with our football team this past fall, coaching special teams and running backs. “He pays really great attention to detail and he has good strategies,” senior football captain Brian McNeary said. “I think he’ll be a good [lacrosse] coach.”

Though this is his first year coaching lacrosse at Watkins Mill, Bero was the varsity coach at Wheaton High School for five years. He played lacrosse in high school for a few years and discovered his passion for coaching when he started teaching.

His favorite part about coaching lacrosse is how quick-paced it is. “Lacrosse is very much like basketball and soccer, where it’s constantly happening…. You’re in it the entire game,” Bero added.

One challenge Bero is ready to face is coaching players who are new to the sport. “[In lacrosse] there’s a very high barrier of entry, a lot of kids don’t have their own stick or their own protective equipment,” Bero said. “It takes a lot of work to get into it.”

Junior lacrosse player Selom Kalin-Samlan believes having a new coach has pros and cons. “We’re pretty much rebuilding the team, but having a new perspective and a new way of coaching could help us get better,” Kalin-Samlan said.

Kalin-Samlan also has great expectations for his team this year, hoping to make it to regionals. He has been playing lacrosse for three years.

As well as a winning record, Kalin-Samlan anticipates a balanced coach. “[I’d like] someone that’s hard on us but helps us learn as well… someone who isn’t afraid to back us up with the referees,”  Kalin-Samlan added.

Lacrosse season officially starts on March 1, and the players and Coach Bero await triumph.

print