New writing lab opens to help students with papers, assignments

Keegan Dant

This year, Watkins Mill High School has a new writing lab for all students available during STEP in room A202. The writing lab gives students an opportunity to fine tune, start, and finish any work that needs to by typed.

Assistant principal Steven Orders came up with the idea for the lab with English resource teacher Wendy Farmer. “The lab has been an idea I have been tossing around for a few years,” Farmer said.

The lab was originally started in late December 2016, but fully opened in January 2017. English composition assistants Sherry Antonetti and Veronica Cosker are the in charge of the writing lab.

“When we got our second new composition assistant [Antonetti], we were in a position to actually be able to actually [staff] a writing lab and have enough people there to help students with writing,” Farmer said.

Antonetti and Cosker will help students who come to the writing lab to complete English assignment’s and other writing tasks. Antonetti said that Cosker and herself have “both have experience with editing, with critiquing, and with giving feedback on how to tweak written material.”

Cosker said that the writing lab is, “another resource and opportunity for student to get help with their writing.” The lab is intended to be for all students in any part of the writing process, students can work on planning a new writing assignment, drafting a writing assignment, revising a draft of a written assignment or any other part of the writing process that they need assistance with.

Cosker said, “It is for any students wanting to do work. It is for students who are working on English papers or need help with any writing project.”